Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Move on...

We recently erected a gazebo around our spa. - very decadent!
My last post had me thinking about my past ministry position, and feeling again the frustration that given different circumstances, so much more could have been accomplished. I did that post as a sort of catharsis, reflecting on the emotional journey of my retirement. It was a part of the exercise of "letting go" of the past twenty seven years. I have been reminded of two important truths.

In his autobiography (The Ultimate Challenge) Ron O'Grady reflected on past choices he had made that determined the direction of his career. He says something really wise...

"In later years it becomes an interesting topic for speculation but there is no place for "what if?" in life. The choices we make must be accepted as right and we move on from there.

The clearest fact of life is this
What might have been is not what is."

Lesson number 1 - you cannot change the past.

A friend in Australia upon reading my last post offered me this...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed
By the things that you didn’t do
Than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines
Sail away from the safe harbour.
Catch the trade winds in your sails
Explore
Dream
Discover

Mark Twain.

Lesson number 2 - move on.... 

I leave the past behind, whatever it's "what ifs?"  I have a new future unfolding and it will be exciting to see where it leads. 
A song I enjoy goes like this...

One more step along the world I go,
one more step along the world I go;
from the old things to the new 
keep me traveling along with you..
Refrain:
And it's from the old I travel to the new; 
keep me traveling along with you.

No comments: