Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, July 2, 2017

My neighbourhood.

I went for a walk today in my locality. I have been trying to get back into running, but have not managed a run for nearly two weeks, so I thought a brisk 12k walk would loosen me up for a run later in the week. I headed out and ten minutes into my walk encountered a man from one of my chaplaincies walking his dogs. We stopped and talked for about five minutes and I went on. Around the corner came a cyclist on a fancy road bike, all in lycra. "Hello Dave" he said as he braked and turned around and rode back toward me as my mind raced to locate his name in my memory banks. I remembered just as he reminded me. He is the partner of a friend I have not seen for years so once again I stopped and talked. (I have been in Dunedin too long. This happens often. When my wife and I visit a hardware store in town, she jokingly says, "$10 for everybody we meet that you know.") I finally continued my walk, uninterrupted except for a quick talk with another couple halfway around. As I walked I began to really appreciate the simple beauty of the place I live. I live on the outskirts of Dunedin, in Sawyers Bay, which is the suburb next to the port "village" of Port Chalmers, the container and cruise ship port for Dunedin. I simply share some photos I took with my phone as I walked.
Careys Bay next to the Port.
Looking toward the mouth of Otago Harbour.
Historic Iona Church, part of "our" presbyterian Parish. It is in the process of being restored.
Port Chalmers Logo - Koputai is the Maori name for the locality. 
A murky Otago harbour looking toward Dunedin.
A fishing ship on its way from Dunedin Wharfs to the open sea.
Nearly at my house - I love the semi rural outlook. The days are short, so it is beginning to get dark - and it was raining!

I love New Zealand as a place to live. I enjoy Dunedin, and the Port Chalmers/Sawyers Bay community. I am indeed a fortunate man.

No comments: