Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Jack died at 93

"Well done good and faithful servant."

I led a funeral for a man who has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. His name was Jack Botting, he was an Electrician and died at the age of 93 a week and a half ago. I led his wife's funeral 20 months ago. Sadly I led his daughter's funeral after her untimely death, in January of this year. He had always wanted me to take his funeral, and asked for me when he knew he was getting toward the end. I was relatively close to him, and where as I usually hold it together leading funerals of people I know, this time as I talked of him I started to choke up and had to apologise and "take a moment". I share some bits out of the funeral and eulogy I used at the funeral. In many ways he was so different than I am, but I owe him a lot. He modeled integrity, Christian generosity, hospitality and good humour.

"Jack has been like a close Uncle in my life. He was 10 years younger than my father, but a close friend of his. I think tradesmen are often drawn to each other because they value each other’s work and experiences in a way they are not valued in society at large. Jack and Dad were tradesmen in the same Church congregation and simply good mates. .They spent hours talking through life together, and Jack supported my dad and our family during some pretty tough times. Since then Jack has always been a supportive presence in my life.  So I need to say, I come as a mourner as well as the celebrant today. Since last Friday I have felt a sadness and deep loss happening in my life."

"...for me Jack’s faith was best seen in his generosity and love of others. His cheeky grin and wink warmed your heart. He was just so generous, accepting and friendly toward all types of people. Some body new to Church, Jack would be the one to initiate conversation. Through facilitating Sunday lunches in various restaurants and pubs, Jack would keep the NEV members together, and in time the Sunday lunch group grew to include others. Jack with other men looked after the kitchen for monthly women’s dinners. He often provided vegetable soup for the Friday night drop in centre. At Christmas time some precious new potatoes from his garden would be on the menu for our Community Christmas dinners. He helped transport to and from the Christmas dinner and at times took meals to people unable to come.
Jack loved his vege garden and was a good gardener, generous with his vegetables.
Jack with Roy Martin were inventors and explored various projects together. There were draught stops for doors, little flow restrictors that go in by ball valves in plumbing installations and of course the pumps which he continued to explore and develop.

Jack loved his family. He loved Florence. His nickname for her was often “Pet”… “Do you want a cup of tea Pet?” He was proud of her for her work with the elderly, her energy and intellect. He loved Paula and Anne and their families. He often said, “We are so lucky, the girls keep an eye on us. They are so good.” You could see in his eyes love and pride whenever he talked of his family, and as he got older he so appreciated their support. This has been so true over these last few years.

Pictures of Jack…
1.   Coming home from school when I was about 8 and finding Jack wiring in a flash new electric range. Mum had very inadequate cooking facilities, and Jack had decided to gift this to our family. Mum was in tears of appreciation.
2.   My father had a Bradford plumbers van. The motor blew up. Jack financed dad into a new van which dad could pay off as and when he was able.
3.   When my father died in 1964, kids were excluded from funeral preparation discussions. On that day Jack took us boys to the cricket at Carisbrook, fed us on icecreams and pies. If one of us began to tear up, he would just move beside us and put his arm around us.
4.   After Dad died, mum had five kids to keep and raise. Jack would often just turn up every now and then with veges, have a cup of tea, and check how things were going. He would ask us kids about school and sport.
5.   When I was in ministry at St Andrew Street Jack so often expressed his support in a simple, yet effective way. During the first hymn, when I would be nervously standing there, our eyes would lock, he would simply grin and wink. When he was serving at the communion table, as he returned the trays, he would often give a quick wink. After Church, when I would be emotionally drained, he would place his hand on my shoulder as he passed by, and simply say, “you’re doin’ so good, I’m proud of you.” and rush out the door with a wave and a wink.
6.   About ten years ago I had a van which had a motor that blew up. History repeated itself. I had a phone call from Jack. “You do so much good with your van, if you don’t tell anyone about it, I can give you $3000 toward a new van.” I turned him down, but I so appreciated the generosity and support expressed.

I’ll stop there for now and let others speak. On Monday while Anne took a brief break, I sat by Jack’s bed holding his hand, while he struggled to breathe, and memories flooded my mind. My heart was so full of appreciation for all this cheeky smiling man has brought into my life."


No comments: