Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Lockdown blues.

Lockdown is working in NZ.
In New Zealand we have all been on strict Lockdown for nearly four weeks. The number of Covid19 cases has headed downhill in a big way, even though testing has increased substantially. We have been at "Level 4" and it is hoped that we could move to Level 3 on Wednesday. So I have barely left the house. I have gone for a few walks around the block. We ventured into town to get our flu jab, but then went straight back home. I have been doing jobs around our house and acre and made a few calls to fire fighters. I also have done a weekly news letter for people of the local congregation, which I call "Lockdown Linkup". It has been well received with people sending emails of appreciation and also their stories of lockdown so that I can share them. I was sure of myself that I would remain mental health wise, healthy and even enjoy the time. But...
I have been out of sorts... sad somehow.
I have plenty to do around our house and acre, but I have felt a bit out of sorts? I am fine really, but have analysed myself and there are at least three related reasons for being out of kilter..
1. There is a bit of uncertainty about how things will go for me after Covid19 Lockdown... there maybe changes to my lifestyle. Things I have invested a lot of time and energy in are fragile and uncertain. They may not survive the Covid19 disturbance. That uncertainty feels uncomfortable.
2. Normally I am the one helping the "unfortunate" or less able. Habitat for Humanity, Drop-in centre, Night shelter, food bank stuff, knocking on doors in Christchurch earthquake, and general dogs body helper type activity have been my life. I enjoy feeling useful to others. In this situation, because I am over 70 I am told sit down, stay home, we don't need you. (I think whether it is level 2-3 or 4.) I hear of somebody with some need and I think, "I could just pop around and help them." "I'll go see them and chat!" Then it hits me again, I cannot do that! I would be breaking the law. I feel like I've been dumped on the scrap heap. Now that is not true but it is a feeling we older ones have to deal with.
3. While I am a bit of a hermit, all my life I have pushed myself "out there" and related with people. They have become important to me, it has become who I am, but now I cannot relate/be with them. I am missing the social contact. I could easily shrink back into my hermit zone?
As a pensioner I have nothing substantive to worry about. Life will go on, we will never be broke, but the above changes have their impact... Are others impacted in a similar way? Just sayin'.
A Francis of Assisi prayer which seems relevant. 

On Good Friday my wife made buns but added my hammer and nails to highlight the meaning of the day.

My home made carpet stretcher. (Carpeting the floor of my study after repairs.

Carpet done.

Study set up again.
New shelves... Lots of books discarded.



These photos are reminders of good times.

No comments: