Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Do you swear at TV reporters?

The Otago Harbour from a hill up behind our house.
I am generally a passive sort of character and, I think, I cope with differences of opinion fairly well. But there is a woman news reporter on one of the channels here in New Zealand who really annoys me. Her predecessor, a man, also annoyed me. I noticed in a news item that this woman had been getting hate mail. That is both sad and often the stuff she has received has been pretty gross and disgusting.

But I need to confess that long before Lockdown I have tended to either mute the TV or switch Channels when this reporter began her pontification.  I find I get annoyed with the way she goes about it. I find that the the way she aggressively goes about muck raking really agitates me. It seems to go beyond holding politicians to account, it feels like she wants to hurt them. I enjoyed her when she was talking from Europe as the Europe correspondent, but have not enjoyed her in her present role as political reporter/commentator.  She is not the only one who annoys me, her way of doing things seems to be the modern way.
  
The news group invited feedback so I looked up the email and sent in something like the words below. This is what I would like to write to many reporters these days. These are the things I would say if I was chatting with her... which is highly unlikely since I do not move in the elite circles she frequents. 

1. Be careful with the power you have.  Years ago on a trip to Australia a man loaned me a car. It was a five litre, modern Ford Falcon Station Wagon with heaps of extras on it. It was the most powerful and most modern car I have driven. The morning after I picked it up I was turning from a side road onto a main road headed for a conference at Monash University. To avoid holding up cars in the line of traffic, I accelerated. To my absolute surprise there was a screech of tires, smoke, and the car fishtailed down the road. I learned that with this powerful car I would have to be very careful. I would want to remind this reporter that in her role, she has an incredible power - use it wisely and well. Badly used it could do immense harm! e.g. Recently an occasional acquaintance of mine, a local MP and minister of the crown was found to have broken the lockdown rules by riding an easy mountain bike track near his home. This reporter hounded the issue like a dog with a bone. He admitted his mistake and apologised to the Prime Minister and to the public. She hounded the Prime minister, asking for his resignation and "if not, why not?" She was quite nasty. I know where he lived. To ride on roads near his place would be dangerous. For him to just go for a walk, he is so well known he would be interrupted all the time. To go for a ride on this easy safe track is the most sensible thing to do, but it did break the rules. She did not let up, pestering the prime minister whenever she could.  I was chair of a group dedicated to establishing a Night Shelter in Dunedin. We were raising funds to purchase the buildings we were renting. It was well before Labour were in power but this Member of Parliament, then in opposition, made an appointment to meet with us at the Night Shelter. He listened to the plight of the homeless. He asked questions. He came to a drop-in centre I was running. He advised us about possible funding sources. When we held overnight sleep outs in the Octagon to raise awareness and funds, he came, spending the night on three occasions, and visiting among the students on another. He is a good man, with the welfare of New Zealanders in his heart as his most basic motivation for being an MP.  He has a young family but is seldom home, he and his family make a real sacrifice so he can do his work. When he is in Dunedin he continues to support charities in the community. He spends heaps of time listening to people, advising people and supporting initiatives. He has an extremely difficult portfolio, and has not done a bad job. Yet this reporters aggressive actions and dogged destructive reporting could easily deprive NZ and Dunedin of this well motivated, hard working Parliamentarian! His Mountain bike ride was ill advised given his position, … but though he did not defend it, it was a reasonable, sensible thing to do. But the reporter questioned it which is right, that is her job, but she went on to sensationalise it and then to push hard for a resignation. He had broken the rules, but it was not a major! She probably has ruined his career, his reputation and may yet deprive New Zealand of a genuine Parliamentarian who is essentially a very good man! Such Power! Power to hurt, not just him, but his family, his community and his country over a relatively small slip up! (He later admitted to a further crossing of Lockdown boundaries, which was disappointing - but still not major.) That is just one example. I would say to reporters, BE CAREFUL OF THE POWER YOU HAVE. Ask the question, “Does this action, reporting, digging, or presentation enhance life and add to wellbeing, or does it diminish life and wellbeing. - Or am I doing it just to improve ratings?" … I hope they have a deeper sense of responsibility and perspective.  

2. Clearly show when you are reporting facts and when you are sharing opinion.  I enjoyed this reporter when she was reporting from Europe. She gave clear, friendly, helpful information and perspective. But in her present role I found her annoying. I asked myself “Why?”  I discovered that it was because she would clearly present the facts of what happened e.g. a poll result. But then she would continue as if still presenting facts to give her opinion, her take on the issue - except that opinion would be expressed as if it was still fact! I recall throwing the newspaper at the TV yelling, “Tell me the facts, but don’t tell me what I have to think about those facts." She is allowed her opinion, and allowed to share her opinion, but share it not as more “factual reporting” but as her perspective. (Her predecessor used to annoy me in the same way.) It comes across as arrogant and overbearing. Sometimes she has been wrong in her predictions. Sometimes she stirs up ferment where there is no ferment. The Desiderata advises, “Speak your truth quietly and clearly. And listen to others….” A dose of gentle humility would help.

3. Respect People.  I have mixed in all sorts of circles and have learned that whether its Prime Ministers or homeless people, it is life enhancing and helpful to show respect. I have seen clever, qualified people working with people, who have no basic respect for those they are working with, and it turns to custard. I sometimes wonder the way people talk to our Prime Minister Ms Ardern, that they think, “Oh its just Jacinda”. I often think "would they have said that in that way to Mr Key? Jim Bolger, Or Rob Muldoon?" I want reporters to ask the questions I would like to ask politicians, but I think basic respect is important. 

4. "Remember" I would say to her, "there maybe wider perspectives and aspects you don’t yet understand." I have been doing presentations and writing articles week in week out since the early 1970’s. (I am a “retired” church minister) Now aged 71, in lockdown I have been cleaning out my gathered papers and stuff in my study. (I feel sorry for my children when I am gone!) I have read some earlier presentations and articles and sometimes in doing so I have grown red in the face and felt sick!  “Good Grief! Did I say that?!” When I was in my 20’s and 30’s (and maybe later) I thought I was God’s gift to the world. …I was a mover and shaker... then I grew up and began to see that not all is black and white. I learned that I also can make bad mistakes. I saw wider perspectives. I met more people. I saw many ups and downs and changes. Now I still do presentations and write sometimes, but with much more respect and humility.  Now I achieve much more. Some of the memories of stuff when I was young only bring embarrassment now. I hope this will not be true for this reporter, but sometimes I get the feeling like she thinks she knows it all. She is indeed a smart lady, but there is much to learn in life.  

This is NOT hate mail. I am just reflecting on why maybe, there is hate mail, and why I find I am annoyed by her style and presentation. I put these perspectives out-there. The same caution needs to be heard by people responding on Social Media. It is so easy to blast off a comment, I do it myself and then regret it.  Remember the power you have; seek to enhance life; share your opinion with humility; respect the other and remember you may not yet see a wider perspective. 
A Kereru (Native Wood Pigeon) I saw on a walk last Sunday evening. There are two in the tree. During Lockdown heaps of birds have been frequenting our backyard. I think because the traffic was less they came closer to human habitation.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

What great food for thought in this article.
Under the stricter lockdown, there did seem to be more birds around. I was noticing more tuis (more tui?) in the trees around the backyard and the neighbours' backyards. Two tuis at least have now taken up what seems to be permanent residence in the trees near the house. It's nice having them around.