Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, August 10, 2020

Faith today

 Unsettled at Church

Last month, on the first Sunday of the month, the Interim Moderator at our local little Presbyterian Church was to lead the service. (A retired Presbyterian minister who keeps an eye on us) He leads a traditional "Blah" service and I get angry because it feels to me that he does not put the effort into it that he ought. It would not encourage a person to come to Church. We often find a reason to be elsewhere when he is on. But this particular Sunday I talked my wife into going, saying that we ought to support the place even when we do not enjoy it. It was his worst yet! I fumed all day! It seemed to me to be blasphemy! The Church is in a very uncertain predicament. The leaders are getting older and wanting to retire. One important person, the "session Clerk" who has really kept the place together, has really resigned now. (At 86 yrs old!) A group of "experts" are to come in to ascertain whether we should keep going. We are on the outreach committee and even amongst those on this more positive group, there are differences about what we want to do. After the Covid Lockdown the steam seems to have gone out of our plans for reaching out. All this has led me to ask myself, where am I? I would love to have the church keep going, I feel the community needs to have a functioning Christian presence. 

Well this month we decided we would skip his service and go out of town for a couple of nights away. On the Saturday we drove about 1.5 hours north to a town called Oamaru and booked into a motel there. We texted my brother who lives in Waimate, a township 3/4 of an hour north and told him we'd visit for lunch the next day, bringing lunch with us. We found out that his wife had been admitted to hospital in Timaru, a bigger town still further north. On the Sunday then, we drove through to there and spent time with both of them. Walking with my brother on the beach we were surprised by this seal which scampered out of greenery toward the shoreline in front of us.


On Monday we came home because I had been asked if I would operate the sound system and basically host a funeral that was being held in the historic Iona Church which is essentially surplus to our requirements and in the process of restoration. Driving home I was stewing about where I am faith-wise, because I have felt this real disappointment with the Church.  As I drove I thought out two essential statements that rang true for me. I went to the funeral, opened the doors, turned on heating, sorted out sound system requirements and controlled the sound knobs for a nearly two hour funeral conducted by a Baptist Pastor. Going by what he said, I think I'll end up in hell! I locked up and came home. 

 But in my stewing about where I am faith-wise I came up with a short statement…with two parts to it.

 

(A) “God is love, the cosmic creativity present everywhere and in everything gently urging all toward the good.” (The opening sentence of a creed by a guy called Jim Burklo)

----

Note: This is not so much a definition of God, but more a way of saying this is how I see/experience God. NOT as an old man in the sky, nor as a puppet master pulling the strings, but a mysterious presence with us and in us. "In him we live and move and have our being." (Acts 17)

 

(B) Jesus, was a man who was so in touch with God and this movement of love that he displayed and taught the essence of what is good - God's essence. He invites us into a fulfilling lifestyle by joining God in that activity. In his day he called it “the Kingdom of God". To "seek first the Kingdom of God” is to ask in every circumstances and relationship, “How can I nudge the world (or more correctly some little part of it) toward the good?” I like to call this experience of "the Kingdom”, “Living in the currents of God’s love.” Jesus' Prayer centred on "Thy will be done, thy kingdom come on earth..."

-----

Notes..

  • The theme of Jesus' teaching and life was this "Kingdom of God" or the "current of God's will and being in the world", "NOT getting to heaven when we die". Realising that opens up the gospels for me.
  • The Kingdom was a mysterious growing presence, like that which makes a seed grow, or the mystery of how yeast changes dough when making bread. A dynamic life enhancing flow.
  •  When Barak Obama was asked about his faith when he was a senator he replied, "So I have a deep faith. I'm rooted in the Christian Tradition. I believe that there are many paths to the same place, and that is a belief that there is a higher power, a belief that we are connected as a people, that there are values that transcend race or culture, that move us forward, and that there's an obligation for all of us individually as well as collectively to take responsibility to make those values lived out." That rings bells for me.


In simple terms - that sums up where I am. 


The Church? - I struggle with. It deeply distorts the way of Jesus, but it is still the place the Jesus story is kept alive, so I have stuck with it. Among the followers of Jesus, should worship be the focus of the Church? We have played around with different styles of worship and music and people have their preferences, but in my mind that is not "making the Church relevant". Jesus only mentions worship once! The guts of Kingdom living for him was servanthood. I think we need to explore much more how in our communities our Churches and we as individuals become a loving, serving presence. We ought to be saying, not "come to our worship" but rather "how can we be with you in love in life's journey?"


Another favourite perspective

 John 10:10 has Jesus say, I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

Bishop John Spong was once asked, “What is the best verse in the Bible?” His answer… “The text with which I close most of my lectures is from John 10. They are words attributed to Jesus. …. To me, they are so true to who he is. And that's the phrase, ‘I've come that they might have life and have it abundantly.’ The way that I see Christianity is that its role is to enhance the life of every person. My basis of morality is this: does this action enhance life, or does it denigrate life? Does it build up or does it tear down?” 

When Bishop John Shelby Spong would repeat John 10:10 where Jesus says "I have come that you might have life and have it abundantly." he often added a line which interpreted “life abundant”;

"To live fully, love wastefully, and be all that you can be; and dedicate yourself to building a world in which everyone has an opportunity to do the same." 

 


 

 

No comments: