Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, January 17, 2021

Summer Days in NZ

It is mid summer in New Zealand. Today our little church went to a barbecue/picnic at a member's lifestyle farm up the hill from our place. It rained at the beginning, but pretty soon the sun came out and I got burnt. Great walks and talks. Very enjoyable.


Garden Goodness

A big broccoli in our garden. I have 80 square metres in vege garden. I love the fresh vegetables.

Our plum trees have been knocked around by strong winds just as the fruit was forming and Kereru (Wood Pigeons) love eating the fruit. But we'll get some for plum jam.

A pear tree we planted many years ago. This year it is laden with fruit.

We have several apple trees and again this year we have heaps of fruit ripening. We love having fruit, eggs and veges to give away.

Broad beans... I enjoy eating them raw straight off the plant.

We have three walnut trees we planted. This year we have prolific fruiting.

One of our potato patches.

Rhubarb must like the new sunlight we get because of the felled trees next door.  Rhubarb and banana jam - delicious. Rhubarb and apple crumble - delicious or Rhubarb and ice cream. ..... We are enjoying many different vegetables from our garden. It is so good looking at your plate and knowing they came off our land.

An intended blog that will never be a blog....

Many weeks ago a conversation I had with two blokes at one of my chaplaincy sites had me asking the question, "What is 'spiritual' and what is 'religion'?" I began writing it up in a Word document thinking it would be a blog post.... and I kept writing.... and writing... and writing. I kept coming back to it and editing it, and adding bits and writing some more and restructuring it.  I got on to confessing my heretical theology and now want to write more. It has led me back to peruse some of the writers who have influenced me and then to begin to read one particular book through again. It is so far 9000 words long so I guess it will never be a blog. But it is an enjoyable exercise to be involved in.  I'm not sure who will read it, but it is important that I do it. At one stage I was writing and thought to myself, "This will never be a blog post. It is too long. Why am I doing it?" My answer in my head was "Its important that you do it!" It reminded me that once I was on a roster to present a radio church half hour on a local community radio station every five weeks I think it was. It involved quite a lot of preparation and even though I most often enjoyed doing it I asked the producer, "How many people listen to this anyway?" He was not able to tell me but said, "We are a community radio station. It isn't important how many listen, but it is important that you as a part of the community present it." That was true and is true for this document I am doing.  Now that I have started, it is important that I do it. I led a funeral the other day and a woman from my old church sat down beside me after it. She asked if I was still preaching. I said "yep". Then she said, "Are you still reading and thinking like you used to?" Again I said, "Yes ... I think I'm even more of a heretic these days Olga." She grinned and said, "I think there are a lot of us like that." I'll have company when I'm being burned at the stake. 


1 comment:

Anthony said...

"heretical theology" Haha
Your "Boss" was a heretic too, wasn't He?
I was waiting for you to say you are going to turn your piece of writing into a book. (Hint.)