Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Vitality and frailty

Yesterday morning at about 9:30 a.m. I started to dig over a patch of garden that had been just sitting for a year or so. It is at least 20 square metres. (3.7 metres x 5.8) I dug and kept digging on what was quite a hot day, breaking the soil up and clearing weeds as I went. I stopped for lunch about 1 p.m. and by that time I was feeling dehydrated and my muscles were aching. After a break I went out and finished it. I was pleased with myself. I've still got it! Even though my exercise program has been hit and miss last year, I was still pleased I could do a big physical job and stick at it. (Last night I discovered sunburn and a couple of blisters on my hands though) I felt good about that effort. The day before I had set to and fixed a mechanical problem in my old Nissan. It had stopped working when we returned from Christchurch. I was quite pleased to be able to diagnose the issue, dismantle the part, test it, buy a replacement and put everything back together again. I have weeded my big patch of vegetables, cut long grass and done other manual labouring jobs. I am enjoying just plain physical work. It invigorates me and is a good part of my holidaying.


Today I go to hospital for a biopsy. The blurb from the day surgery unit at the hospital calls it a "procedure". - Translated that means they are going to do horrible things to me. It says there will be "mild discomfort". - Translated that means its going to hurt like hell. They tell me I will not be able to drive home and I have to be with "a responsible adult" for 24 hours. I had one of these a few years ago and it was not a nice experience. I was talking to an older man the other day and it seems like I'll be having one every few years from now till when I die. That is, of course, if they do not discover prostate cancer in the process. (I have been waiting for this one for over 6 months. If I have cancer I suspect it would have exhibited itself by now??)

Yesterday I felt like a young man able to tackle physical work in the same way I always used to. Today I feel like a frail old man on the slippery slope toward the end of life. Life is weird.

When I was in Christchurch on the morning of my brother-in-law's funeral my wife and I called to see my sister. My brother and wife from Australia had arrived and were staying in the house opposite. We saw them through the window and called on them briefly before venturing into my sister's home. When we did they admitted their thoughts when they saw us pull up and get out of our car. Apparently, when looking out the window, my sister-in-law said to my brother,  "It's an elderly couple calling to see Katherine."  They are older than me! (they dye their hair) I chuckled at the comment but felt like saying, "We'll go for a jog around the block and see who is elderly!" Even with arthritis problems my wife can leave younger women behind with long hours of physical work.  (e.g. looking after a big vegetable garden, lawns and animals as well as doing hours of voluntary work at the ED department at the hospital and the likes of our big Christmas dinner.)

When do you "gracefully let go the things of youth" and accept your old age status? I guess for the next couple of days I'll feel a bit frail. Wish me luck.

No comments: