Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, February 13, 2012

I just have to tell you...

First story. Years ago I was in discussion with a fire fighter. "Marriage" he pronounced, "was an outmoded institution. You do not need it." He claimed to be an atheist and loved to tell me that he would never be getting married. According to him the nasty life inhibiting Christian Church inflicted marriage on people. I said to him that one day, one day I think he will find a woman he will want to marry. I joked to him that I would remind him of his assertions then, that I would turn up at the wedding and go "na..na...na, na na!" in the back seat. "Never going to happen!" he asserted. "We'll see?" I would say. I actually really like this guy, he has a beautiful nature, and a great sense of humour.

Tonight I was sitting chatting at a fire station. He came in early for work. We greeted each other and there was general chat for a while. Then he strangely said, "Do you want a bit of a giggle Dave? I have a story to tell you." Others said, "Have you got a joke?" "Nah" he said, looking sheepishly at the floor. He hesitated, looked at me and said, "I've gone and done something strange. I've... I've..."  I burst out laughing, pointed at him with glee and yelled, "You've got engaged! Is  that right? Woo hoo, I'm going to that wedding!" "Yes" he said, with a big grin on his face. We laughed together.  I did sincerely congratulate him as he said, "After the mirth died down."  As I went he said, "It was disturbing how readily you came to mind when it happened." So cute... he will be a good husband to the right woman. He has a great nature and for him to have taken this step he must really love her.

Second story. Just now I have received an email with stacks of photos of a Mustang fighter plane. This guy had to retire from one of my chaplaincies because of his ill health. He had said to me several times that he wanted to go on a flight in a restored Mustang fighter plane. It was a bit like a bucket list wish. Well he has flown from Wanaka to Taieri and back and sent me the photos to share the joy. All he wrote basically was, "Mission Accomplished!". So neat that he thought to tell me about it.
 
I do have a great life sometimes, I get to rejoice with people when they rejoice.

No comments: