Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Reflecting on the sad and sacred in the week.

Earthquake memories
On Wednesday Christchurch held a big memorial service for those killed in the big earthquake exactly a year ago. We had people in the Space2B area at the back of the church and switched the TV on to listen and watch the ceremony.  People chatted among themselves until they started to read out the names of those who lost their lives. There was a reverent quietness right through the two minutes quiet time scheduled for 12:51, when the earthquake struck a year ago. I could not help but think of my memories of going up to Christchurch and seeing the devastation in the CBD area. Also later talking with Christchurch people in their homes while door knocking with the Salvation Army. I had some sad memories and knew again that my perception of life had been changed by that experience. I know of people still having to cope with injury and loss after the earthquake.
Warm People encounters
In the course of my week I meet a lot of people. I am so often received with warmth and good humour. I am intrigued that I cannot walk two blocks down town without stopping and talking with people. I have enjoyed friendship, good conversation and lots of warmth while meeting people.  While I do like being by myself, and could be a happy hermit, I have appreciated the people encounters of the week. Relationships are a sacred part of life.
Sad diminished people
In this morning's sermon I talked about Satan. I said Satan for me was a mythological character who stood for those forces, values and perspectives in our midst which stunt, distort or diminish human life. This week I have talked with people on drugs, addicted to alcohol or who have had shocking childhoods. I have seen distorted and diminished human lives. I continue to find that so sad and get angry at the causes. I turned on my cell phone late on Saturday morning only to find that one of our drop-in centre characters had texted me at 1:30 a.m. with "Are you awake Dave?" I caught up with him and found he had experienced strife at his accommodation with the police being called. I spent most of the afternoon with him. At one stage we called at the night shelter and made a cup of tea. We raided the fridge making some sandwiches. He eagerly scoffed these down, because he had not eaten since the night before. I was rained on while moving his stuff. I drove all around town looking for possible alternative accommodation for him. I spent a long time talking with this anxious young man as we drove.  I was tired when I finally got home after 7 p.m. walking in the door declaring to my wife, "It is no wonder sensible people do not get involved!" I had reserved Saturday afternoon for putting my rough thoughts on my Sunday sermon together, now that was relegated to night time hours, and inevitably early hours of Sunday morning while I struggled to sleep. Sad distorted people are always a part of my life and I regularly take on board some of their anguish and confusion.
Sacred moments
On Friday night we had over fifty people through our drop-in centre. Let me tell you of some. (names changed)

  • Bill is a mid-thirties guy who comes with a carer. He has trouble controlling anger impulses so his carers often stick close beside him. We have never had trouble with him. He arrives and always greets me warmly giving me cheek. He has been dropping into our Space2B also lately. He helps me mix cold drinks when ever they run out, its a special thing we do together. (I tell him he is "an expert stirrer") He told me that his carers had been so impressed with him lately, he had not caused any trouble. He treats us like we are parents and always gives us a hug when he leaves.
  • Phil is a guy with a checkered past because of involvement with drugs. He has attended on and off over many years. We had a pool and table tennis rivalry going and he used to call me "Dad". He now has a partner, is more consistently in good shape and they care for a little boy. When he comes now he always greets me with a warm respectful handshake. He was there with his little boy and his partner, playing pool.
  • Ted is a profoundly deaf guy who has lately been supplied with hearing aids. I notice he seldom comes "half-full" these days and dresses more smartly. He is in a better place.
  • Sally is a little busy body who talks non-stop (Asperges sufferer) and often is prone to sharing gossip, which inevitably has been exaggerated. She runs around making guys hot drinks, bossing people around, playing cards and sometimes plays chess. I tease her and sing "Sadie the cleaning lady" when she starts doing chores and cleaning up the bench.
  • Dick is a keen pool player but seems to have an emotional age of an eleven year old. He gets stroppy when he is beaten and sometimes flies off the handle. He refuses to play with Fred and they sometimes argue. Once or twice he has waved his pool cue at me threateningly, but thought better of it, backing off under the power of my "look".
  • George is an overactive chinese young man who will play me in hours of fast paced table tennis. In the process he is slowly relaxing with me and sees me as a supportive friend and guide.
  • Two seemingly hard "nuts" found a box of children's toy lego type bricks. They sat there like little children building houses, quite spontaneously, and with pride showed them to us. 
  • I could go on. Elderly alcoholics. Stressed out mental health patients. Paranoid men not taking their medication. Two boisterous young girls. A man who cannot stop himself from collecting rubbish. Another man who most often snarls at people. etc. etc. 
My sacred moment happened while playing table tennis. I always play down one end so that I can keep an eye on what is going on in the room. If need be I can stop or divert trouble brewing and I can welcome people coming in the door and farewell them if they leave early. I was playing table tennis and surveying the scene. I saw a room full of this motley collection of people, but there was a buzz of warm conversation. People were laughing with each other, not at each other. People were enjoying games, food and drink. There were heaps of smiles, laughter and good humoured teasing. People were relating to us as if we were important in their life, with respect, warmth and humour. I suddenly found myself thinking, "This is a miracle of love! This is 'of God'! It is creative, life giving, loving and beautiful." It felt like God was there and he was smiling as he looked on his children. At that point I felt proud, privileged, humble, close to those people, and close to the sacred. It was a spiritual loving moment, as I tried desperately to smash the ball back at my chinese opponent. Unfortunately most of my church people would never get to experience it, understand it or see it as sacred... but it is!
Drop-in centre last year not long after opening time. The sausages & pies are served on the table tennis table. This is the view I have while playing table tennis, 

No comments: