Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, May 19, 2013

A quick post...


The latest picture of our Christchurch grandson, Theo.
Arthur Templeton's funeral on Friday.
On Friday I led the funeral for a 97 year old retired minister who was my childhood minister.  For a 97 year old he had a very big funeral with perhaps 200 diverse people there. He often annoyed me in recent years because he could be pedantic and sometimes imnappropriate. But he had a big influence in who I am today. In the week before the funeral I had many memories. I recall him baptising me. I recall him bringing my mother home from the hospital after my father died, he looked as hurt as we did. He guided me helping a very nervous young teenager open his mouth in public. I recall him being sent by the elders to tell us off at the Youth Group for playing our records too loud and too long, the Church neighbours had complained. One other time he drew us Brown boys aside to tell us that the neighbours in our street had complained directly to him that we were working on our cars too late at night. I had such great feedback about the funeral, and I am still getting it. Members of my congregation said this morning, "We were so proud of you!" The funny thing is that I am not sure what I did that was right? 
Funeral for a young man
After Church this morning we went out for lunch and came home exhausted. I had a nap this afternoon and have been procrastinating, putting off doing the final preparation for the funeral I have to lead tomorrow. On the day that we were celebrating the first birthday of our grand daughter, this young man's mother discovered him dead in bed. I don't really know how you make the final farewells any easier. A funeral for a 97 year old who has accomplished a lot is a breeze, but for a young man at the beginning of his adult life it is so much more difficult. It is funny how so often I find myself indecisive and procrastinating when there is something really hard to do. I hope I can do no harm!

1 comment:

Linda Myers said...

You are doing important work, Dave.