Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, May 27, 2013

The results of my efforts

Knox Church

Knox Church...
I was to preach at an inner-city ministers' Trinity Sunday Ecumenical service at the historical Knox Church in Dunedin last night. This sermon had been running through my mind for a few weeks.  I asked the people planning the service if I could have a mobile lapel microphone and just stand at the front of the Church. I was assured that would be OK. That is my style, I do not usually use notes though the sermon has often been scribbled out at least a couple of times. I did ask if I could use a power point, but that seemed too much trouble. When I arrived for the service and met the minister in charge of the service I asked about the lapel microphone. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was preaching from the high pulpit, there was no option available, and it was repeated several times. The service was packed with several choir numbers and other aspects and not much time was left for the sermon. I climbed the steps into this pulpit, feeling inhibited by the fence around me and the gap between me and the congregation. I checked my watch before the sermon and realised that I had to edit my carefully prepared sermon in my mind as I spoke. The feedback I got was generally positive though I probably made some people feel uncomfortable. 
This Church building and the style of service made me feel uptight and somehow less of a person. The service was led through in a very formal, impersonal and passionless style. The readings, prayers and choir pieces followed the order of service with no announcement or personal connection with the people in the pews. I suppose it may be a matter of taste, but it seems to me to be a denial of the immanence of God, presenting a God who is distant and a faith that is impersonal and somehow held at arms length. Doesn't do much for me. I had thought Knox may have been a congregation we could have attended when we retire. If that is the usual "feel" I don't think so. I had looked forward to preaching this sermon as my sort of "ecumenical swan song". It seems my effort was OK, but from my point of view, I felt I could not "be myself" in that setting, behind a fenced in and high pulpit.
A plug for $50000
This morning I was to front up with another friend, to a charitable Trust to present a case for receiving a $50000 grant to help the Night Shelter Trust purchase its premises. I put a lot of effort into preparing a power point and we had thought carefully about how and what to present. We had 15 minutes to make our plug. We walked into this room and sorted out our powerpoint and did our thing. They asked a couple of questions. I must admit I tended to bounce back a little too hastily at one, responding emphatically. They were sitting at a board table and nothing they said nor the expressions on their faces gave anything away. There were three organisations after a single grant of $50000.  We had been shortlisted out of fifteen organisations. We heard later that they had decided to give each of the three organisations $10000. It was an interesting experience and we are grateful for the grant.
Half-marathon dream...
I saw an article about training for a half-marathon that is to be run in Dunedin in fifteen weeks time. I still have some measure of fitness with my regular walks up the mountain.  As I looked at the suggested training schedule I thought "I could do that!"  The half is just two days after my 65 birthday, it would be a great way to celebrate and the training involved will help me lose weight. I will have to do some cross training to nurse my fragile knee a bit, but I think I could do it. I walked up the mountain on Saturday and today spent an hour in my "garage gym" doing rowing, cycling, punch bag and some weights. (It was bitterly cold and wet outside) It is a start. It would be great to be able to say "I did a half marathon just after I turned 65". 

I think I have a "normal" week ahead, and a lighter weekend at the end of it. 

No comments: