Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Two heart warming incidents...

From "Steve"
We have a foster daughter with severe handicaps. (She is a Rett syndrome sufferer) Our Pania is in her early thirties and in a supervised house with others. She visits home regularly and is my "special girl". Carers from the CCS organisation take her on outings during the day. We had a call from one of her carers. She had taken Pania to the swimming pool - she loves that. When she smiles her eyes and smile light up a room and I can imagine in the water with her carer she would be all smiles. At some stage after the swim, a man came up to her and her carer and introduced himself just as "Steve". He was from South Africa and had four young children with him. He handed the carer a very generous donation in cash and told her the money was for Pania - "to be used for something special for her care."  He gave no details but said that "God had told him to give it." I don't suppose Steve will read this but Pania says "thank you" and her parents say "thank you".  
".. but she out of her poverty put in everything she had." (Mark 12:44)
A second story - In an email sent via the Night Shelter website to the Trust a young lady told this story...
I was walking to work the other day and saw a homeless man who had a sign asking for money for food because he was hungry, I'm a student and have very little money anyway. I had five dollars in my account on Monday (i get paid on Fridays) but I drew it out and gave it to him anyway. However I noticed that no one else was even acknowledging him i was really angry. Soooo..... I came up with an idea of organizing a city wide protest thing to help raise money and awareness for the homeless in Dunedin and I was wondering if you would be able to help me? It would mean a lot if you could because I don't know anything about organizing things like this :)

I love her anger. There are big issues involved in why people are the way they are, but it is nice to know that this young person cared. We are following up with her.
Two stories in two days. - I thought I would take a couple of minutes out of my day to share these two stories just to brighten your day. There are caring generous people in the world.

No comments: