Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, July 22, 2013

Parson's log..


23 Sundays to go.
On Thursday morning I had a session with my Supervisor where we talked about my last few months of ministry ahead and reflected on that. That evening there was a meeting at the Church of the leadership with some of our national denominational leaders where they discussed what will happen when I leave.  Of course I was not part of that meeting. I am fairly sure the whole character of the Church will change, which for me will be sad, but I know I must finish. In some ways my choice to retire is an admission of defeat. My supervisor/counsellor lady was busy in the morning trying to make sure I did not view it as failure. All I can say is, success or failure, right or wrong, I did what I had to do as I saw the role of faith and the Church. I have not been successful in carrying others with me. It was funny knowing that these folks were talking about the future of the Church I had poured 27 years of my life into, and I did not have a say in it. That is as it must be.
Friday Night
On Friday evening we had around 60 through the Drop-in centre. It was a great relaxed night of warm friendship.  People joked, conversed and played games. We sang "Happy Birthday" to a man who turned 65 and throughout the night there were heaps of smiling faces. There has been an older retired chinese man coming who does not look very athletic. I play table tennis with a young chinese guy, but this older man has started to play. He can play very well and I learned that in his youth he was a champion. You can never tell a book by its cover, his talent was a complete surprise. It is great to see him with a broad grin on his face, coming alive. I had to chuckle as we were leaving to go home, Malanie, a lovely Indian lady who attends our Church, called out, "Goodbye Pastor!"  I have been trying in vain to get her and her husband to call me "Dave" for all the time they have been here. They insist on addressing me as "Pastor".  I pounced on her and said, "Next year when I am no longer Pastor, what will you call me?" (thinking I would force her to call me by my name) As quick as a flash, with a twinkle in her eye and a broad grin she replied, "Ex-pastor!"  We had such a good evening yet most of my Church, even some in leadership, have not "owned" the drop-in centre and its work. Very few have ever visited a session in the 18 years we have been running. As I drove home weary but glowing I thought of how much they have missed out on. It is their loss, but it is sad.
Job interviews
As chairman of the Night Shelter Trust, on Saturday morning I was part of a panel interviewing applicants for a job at the Night Shelter. We asked people essentially the same questions and scored their answers to help us make up our mind. There were four applicants for the job, two men and two women. I found it an exhausting process trying to ensure that each had a fair opportunity to share with us their skills and themselves. At times I found myself thinking, "You can do better than that!" so I would ask the question in a better way. One was so frustrating because they did not interview well, yet I think they were better than their answers suggested.  We made our decision and this week we will confirm it. It is the third time I have been a part of such a panel, another interesting experience in life. Our first question to each was, "Why do you want this job?" It was funny. Our final question was, "Is there anything that you want to ask us?" One lady eyeballed us and asked, "Why do you do this? Why are you on the Trust?" - A good question.
Martha and Mary
On Sunday morning the service revolved around the story of Martha, Mary and Jesus. Martha got all upset because Mary was sitting listening to Jesus instead of helping her with her chores. Jesus affirmed Mary's action. I always think Martha was hard done by. I know all the "being" verses "doing" prattle that goes with this passage, but it still remains true that without Martha Jesus would have missed out on lunch! The "Mary's" of this world who sit around "being" don't make a difference. It's the "Martha's" who serve that bring change and advance the human race. I guess we need to be "Mary-and-Martha" involving "being-that-is-expressed-in-action". I still feel sorry for Martha's legacy.
Monday
On Friday night we learned of a family needing three beds and a set of draws. I knew of three bed bases being thrown out at a fire station so today we visited and picked them out of the rubbish skip. The legs had disappeared so we purchased three cheap sets of legs.  We bought two mattresses from the Habitat for Humanity secondhand shop to go with a spare we had at home, and a set of drawers. The new van carried all these home easily where we unloaded and with drills, screws and tools attached the legs to the bases. We have them all ready in our spare room to go to their new home. Being a bit of a hypocrite, at one stage I grumped about spending my day off working for others. It will be nice though to express our solidarity in the journey of life with this family, when we deliver them to their house this week some time.
"Lincoln"
Tonight while my wife cut my hair, we watched the film "Lincoln". I was deeply moved by it. Here was a man who was a great leader, but felt the real struggles and pain of that role. He was determined to make the progress he saw as necessary. It inspired me. In spite of set backs, I will keep on working with the Night Shelter Trust toward owning our building and establishing the Trust on a sure footing. Not big Abe Lincoln type stuff, but "me in my small corner".

No comments: