Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, August 8, 2013

"Have you saved any souls lately?" ... "Well yes!"


I have a firefighter who when he sees me asks me first if I want a cup of tea. Then his second question is, "Have you saved any souls lately?" The first is serious, he loves to make me feel at home. The second is joking, a light hearted dig that I am religious and most of them are not. He often rates my chances of saving the souls of his colleagues. "He needs saved, you might have a chance with the young guy there, but that one - he's a lost cause." Well I cant wait till he asks next time because I will say "Yes I have!" I have had these comfortable old slippers. They are the best. They are warm, leather, wool lined, with solid rubber souls, zip up boot type things that you can wear outside if necessary. They are about the third pair I have had in my life, but now for some reason they have stopped making them! (I got my first pair as a teenager and wrecked them in a motor scooter accident) I have worn the current pair for at least twenty years and the souls were cracked and coming apart.
My wife explored in vain all sorts of places to try to find out where you can buy a replacement pair of slippers. She then went to a shoe repair place who refused to fix them, saying it was a lost cause. So we went to a shop which sells "rubber things" and bought replacement souls and shoe goo. I did some rough repair work on the old souls allowing the goo a few days to harden. Then I fixed up some temporary clamps and stuck the new souls on top of the old. They have been clamped for a couple of days and I now have them out, the souls trimmed and have been wearing them again. I hope they last a few more years. So yes I have saved a couple of souls. I would love if somebody would make these again. They are so good.

2 comments:

Bricky said...

I had a pair of those a few years ago Dave, and I loved them too. What's more, I'm sure I saw them for sale here in Dunedin just a couple of years ago. At Frames', I think.

Dave Brown said...

Jean tried there and they said nobody made them now. My souls have stayed stuck. :-)