Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Friday, September 13, 2013

A "spot" that needs investigating.


Theodore my cute grandson. 
Over four weeks ago I had an MRI scan. On Wednesday after our visit to Christchurch I rang the hospital Urology Department to see if there were results. They told me to ring my GP. I phoned the medical centre and a nurse got into the information on the hospital computers. She looked at it and said she would get a doctor to explain it then phone me back. I eventually received a phone call from a nurse giving me a medical explanation. As far as I could understand, most of my prostate enlargement looks like "just" benign enlargement. (There was a fancy medical term) There is, however, a spot or area that they are unsure about and they are contemplating an ultrasound guided biopsy of this. I was disappointed because I had thought that the MRI would give a definitive statement on whether or not I had cancer. I am left with another period of feeling uncertain. 
My sensitivity is heightened because I visited a friend who has terminal cancer that began as prostate cancer. I had not seen him for two weeks and I was disappointed because, in spite of some treatment his symptoms had deteriorated in just two weeks. 
This morning I was doing things to hopefully improve the starting and running of my van.  While I was working I was thinking about my friend (My form of prayer) and also about my predicament. I finished up by putting some tools away in my workshop. I became aware that I have built up a very handy collection of tools because I have always said, "Tools are an investment." Many of my tools have paid for themselves several times over, but others await more free time to be fully utilised. As I came out of the workshop I wistfully said to my wife, "I hope I live long enough in retirement to really enjoy my tools?"  
I am sure I will be fine, I have had enough doctors poking and prodding in recent times. The funny thing is that at this stage of life I do have a sense of completeness. I have had a happy family life and my children are off my hands and doing well.  I have enjoyed friendships and related to a great variety of people.  I have made a difference through my career, and while there have been frustrations, it has caused me to grow in my abilities, in confidence and as a person. I have had a life full of rich and varied experiences which I have enjoyed. So if I died tomorrow I could still look back and say, "I have had a very fortunate life." I could not complain.  But... I still have creative energy itching to express itself. I will appreciate a few more years of healthy living to explore the uncharted territory of "free time".
My recent birthday present I hope to enjoy more fully.
An engraver/shaper thingy yet to be enjoyed - I want to try bone carving.
This electric meter has had 35 years of use, and was used again this morning. 

1 comment:

Bricky said...

If as you say, Dave, thinking is praying, then you are in my prayers.