Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, November 17, 2013

"What's been happening?"

Gorgeous grand daughter Edith off to feed the hens.


Handsome grandson, Theo.
I caught this fish at Kaka point on a family holiday - a long time ago!
"What's bin happenin'?"
is often the question asked of me when I walk into a lounge at a fire station. I ask a similar question of them. Here are a couple of reflections on what's been happening in my life this week.
I have gorgeous grandchildren!
Well, what can I say, don't you agree?
Wish I was there...
I have another grandchild due to arrive this week - in Edinburgh! - On the other side of the world! I was talking to my son on the phone and enjoyed catching up on the things he was doing in their recently purchased house. (I am so pleased all my kids seem happy to chat with their eccentric old dad - they are very forgiving!) Somehow as he talked about the expected arrival Edinburgh seemed a long long way away! I would love to be there to give support! We plan on being there mid year next year, but this week that seems to be an eternity away!
We have booked a house in the country...
Not long after Christmas we are planning to go away to a luxurious looking house near Kaka point with our oldest son, his wife and child. Kaka point has childhood memories for me. We had a great holiday there when I was a boy. I look forward to this break, but till then it will be head down, bum up until retirement date on 29th December. I have six Sunday services to go and of course our Community Christmas day dinner!
Revitalising run...
This afternoon my friend and I had the briefest of runs. It was far enough though to begin to enjoy it, and a bit further than we had run the time before. It is strange. Before our jog I felt tired, emotionally exhausted and every bit like an elderly man fit for the scrap heap. The start of the run felt hard and my chest was heaving. But as we walked down the hill and back to the cars I felt exhilarated and when I got home I went about, full of new energy, preparing for a project I am tackling tomorrow. A run lifts your spirits, blows out your lungs and generally is a great pick-me-up. I really enjoyed its impact!  Note to self, "I must do more!"

Boxing...
In Cassius Clay/ Mohammed Ali days I enjoyed watching boxing.  Now I hate the sport. There was a much publicised boxing tournament in the North Island city of Hamilton the other night. The NZ star did not win the main fight of the night and has decided to retire. - good on him.  But in another fight Daniel MacKinnon a professional boxer, had to be carted off to hospital with a bleed in his brain. A photo of his pulverised face looks gross! He was in a serious condition but has had surgery which seems to have eased the situation. I have known and shared with three men who were boxers in their younger days, who in later life were badly impacted by their brain injuries. Slurred speech, unsteady gait, tiring easily, lack of concentration, moodiness and in one case mental health issues were all the result of this sport. Is it really a sport that fits into our world today? Should it go the way of the gladiatorial games? How could I justify enjoying watching a sport that intentionally tries to injure somebody? 

No comments: