Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, April 17, 2014

"Work' multiplies..


I bought a small diary because I am retired - it still fills up.
Long road ahead...
Last Sunday I slept rough in the centre of town with three other guys to highlight the Dunedin Night Shelter Trust's campaign to raise $650,000 to purchase the buildings we currently rent. We have received about three thousand in this week, but as we talked about options for continuing it seemed like a long road ahead. There is so much work to do and I am leaving town soon.
Other issues...
As well as this there have been three other Night Shelter issues that have emerged during the day. I feel exasperated and tired. I am not sure I am chairman type material. We will work our way through them I am sure. I just watched a film where people were trudging their way through snow in the Antarctic. That's what I feel like - we are making progress, but it feels like you are knee deep in it, walking but having to work hard all the way. That is what it has felt like today.
Encounters up town...
I parked the van on the outskirts of the CBD and walked through the shop lined streets toward the town hall where I had to attend a meeting. I was dawdling because I was very early. I saw across the street, a couple who used to come into the Church at lunch times every now and then.  I waited for them because I had not seen them for a long time and I enjoy their company. We talked, catching up on the things we had been doing. They said they had purposely frequented a cafe they knew my wife and I often went to in the hope of seeing us. They may leave town and were keen that we visit them before we leave town for a while. I smiled and said, "Yes" because I really want to, but then I thought of my diary filling up nearly every day next week. After our meeting I had a cup of tea with the Night Shelter treasurer and we went to a post office to buy some supplies. We waited in a queue and I noticed a lady I knew behind the counter doing her best to ensure that she served us.  She motioned us over even before she had completed serving the customer before us.  She used to attend the drop-in centre from time to time.  We chatted as she served us then I asked how she was doing.  "OK but I have some problems, after Easter can you get in touch and maybe you can help me." All I could do was nod and move off because there was a queue behind us. Again I thought of my diary.... "But when?" I asked myself.
I think it will be good to leave town for a while.  As I drove home in the van I could not help but wish I was already driving north for the family responsibilities coming up.  I know too many people.
Happy Easter everybody.

No comments: