Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Saturday, April 17, 2021

Special BBQ

 An invitation...

A few weeks ago I had a phone call from one of the Senior Station Officers at the Fire Station. He said he was planning a special BBQ for retired fire fighters to come to the fire station and spend time with me. So today we went, Jean and my daughter and son-in-law. There were past and present fire fighters and a group from the brewery where I am chaplain. We mixed and mingled for awhile then ate the food. Then there was a speech. They gave me a special "presentation", an envelope with a card and a very generous donation of cash in it. The presentation blew me away because if you are associated with fire fighters, you earn your helmet and they are not given away lightly. Normally in NZ, a fairly secular country, the fire chaplains, if there is one, are just very much part time, and not given a helmet. It is a meaningful gift, a sign of your inclusion. It was a happy time.






No comments: