Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, September 5, 2021

Things out of kilter...

 "Lockdown Link" up back in production.

Last year when we were in Lockdown I undertook to send out a "newsletter" to the congregation each week with some thoughts, some news from people, photos and on line worship links. There are just a few who are not on email. So this last weekend we put out the second one for this Lockdown. We printed three off and delivered them to those not on email, with a couple of bran muffins. We put them in letterboxes. I have been astounded with how welcome they are. I have received notes of gratitude and others have sent news in. We dropped one off to an elderly lady along with a couple of muffins. Breaking the rules Jean talked at a distance at the door. When we got home she rang with real gratitude. You would think we had given her the moon. It was nice to be appreciated.

Father's Day in NZ

Today is Father's day in New Zealand. I received messages or calls from all our children except a foster daughter with severe handicaps. In her accommodation they are very careful not to let anybody from outside into the house nor anyone inside out of it. So we have not seen her for a week or two and I am hoping that soon I'll see her smile. I went up to the cemetery and visited my Parents memorial up there, taking some plum blossom. 

Hormones out of kilter

The Immunotherapy has mucked up some of my glands, so I am not receiving the right hormones.  My thyroid is knocked out and they are trying to get the right level of replacement pill. My adrenaline gland is malfunctioning and they are trying to get it OK.  I have a little bit of pain, I suspect more is further down the track. I have been getting very tired. I'll be out doing stuff, feel exhausted and come in, lie down, and to my surprise discover I have slept an hour. I feel weaker and not full of energy. I think they are getting it sorted, but I do not like it. On one hand I am amazed at the working of the human body. There's a pituitary gland in your head, about the size of a pea somebody says. If that malfunctions you know about it. I had a head scan the other day. After we had been talking about the results my cheeky oncologist signed off with, "And Oh Dave, you'll be please to know there is a brain present! Chuckle, chuckle!" What an amazing machine we live in. The various glands "take readings" and respond appropriately in the normal course of events.

It's crying time again...

I discover I cry at the drop of a hat. We have been offered counselling through the cancer care unit at the hospital at one stage, but I do not think I need it? I think there are times when it is appropriate to cry.  While waiting to tune into an online service I was flicking through favourite You tube hymns for my funeral music. I want tunes that express who I am, my values etc. I played a few and sat and wept. I watch the paralympics and weep at their fitness, guts and courage. I see the blossom of my last spring and feel both the joy and the sadness. I probably have not always wept when I should have in my life, but I think at this stage it is OK and healthy to have a weep or two. There is a lot going on in the world that is a bit disturbing. Afghanistan. Covid. Lockdown.  A terror attack in New Zealand! There's also isolation from people I would love to chat with because of the lockdown. I am fortunate though, I have had some beautiful phone calls from fire fighters and friends. 

Apart from that, all is good. My 73rd birthday tomorrow. Probably my last, but that is a lot longer than many in the world.


When we were kids, dad had a two cylinder Bradford van as his Plumbers van.

These are little native Kowhai trees from seeds I collected. I am hoping they will grow big enough for me to plant before I die.

A plum tree in our backyard in full blossom. Native Wood Pigeons (Kereru) love to perch amongst the blossom and eat the buds.

My dad at about age 47/48 and a young friend. Dad died at 49 years of age. The little girl died a couple of years ago. I conducted her wedding many years ago, and sadly also conducted her funeral. She was only in her early 50's when she died of cancer. Life is not always fair.

1 comment:

Linda Myers said...

Good to know you are well engaged in your life. Walking with you.