Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Me in a race horse stable?



I have this friend who trains trotters. He has a stable with eight horses in it. On Friday he had quite a serious accident on the track while training horses, so today he is bruised, very sore and struggling to move freely. We shared in a church barbecue tea this afternoon so I offered to help him feed his horses tonight. I enjoy his company and tonight I enjoyed his horses. I have not spent much time around horses but have always admired them.  They are big animals up close and they all seemed a bit stroppy tonight. I think their feed was later than normal and they were not happy about it at all. They were stamping their feet on the ground. He just laughed and said, "That's them telling me to hurry up with their tucker!"  I enjoyed the little contact I had with them, feeding them and being with them. My mother used to treat anyone who was in the race horse business as somehow evil and part of a sinful industry. (because of the gambling associated with it) I find this guy who has trained horses for years to be interesting, with heaps of insights into life and I love watching his relationship with his horses as he talks away to them. I had a great evening.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are able to provide protection to your colt against injuries.

Stable Mat

stablesoft-europe.com