Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Memories of special times


I am still on "light duties" recovering from surgery. I am taking the opportunity to sort through papers in my study at home. Lots of times I will come back from meetings, or a day's activities and just pile some papers, mail or notes on a corner of my desk or on a shelf. I have been trying to sort through these. In the midst of these I have found cards like the one in the photo above. Inside this "thank you" card it says;
David,
This comes with
sincere appreciation.
Thank you very much for taking .........'s service for us,
your kindness and your caring,
kind regards,
                     (signed)

I have thrown out several of these today. Each one brought special memories. They are of days when I have been privileged to be allowed into a family's grieving. I have listened to their stories, their laughter, their tears and felt their grieving. In some ways for a short time I have been allowed to be a part of their family.  I have been invited to conduct a service that somehow puts into words or gives expression to their feelings and thoughts as they farewell a loved one.
Sometimes it has been an aged parent whose time had come, and you gather up childhood memories, thanksgivings and love. At other times, as with the card above it has been somebody who has died too young and you ache with their aching hearts and feel their questions, longings and sometimes anger. I recalled as I read the one above, standing with a father beside the open coffin of his son, who died needlessly as a young man. As I have read and discarded each one I have been reminded of that sense of privilege and companionship I have experienced as I have walked with people in a part of their life's journey.  
It is both a hard but very precious part of the career I have had. I look back with satisfaction and a deep sense of fulfillment. I have helped people in these difficult moments in their life and it seems I have done it well. What more could I ask of life?
Pretty fortunate really.
I am recovering from an operation on my prostate. I am still uncertain that it will turn out alright and really remedy my problems. I am still living with a catheter and in a couple of weeks go back into hospital for some more treatment. To top it all off yesterday morning my back went "out". I was bending over to pick something off the floor then suddenly nearly landed on the floor in excruciating pain. At one stage I grabbed at a coat hook on the wall for support and it broke. It began to come right yesterday afternoon, but this morning I struggled to get out of bed and down the hall. It has improved, but it has made me feel sorry for myself. 
When it improved enough I went for a walk to improve it some more. As I walked I began to count my blessings. Yes my "plumbing" needs repairs, but for 63 years it has operated well, without a second thought... I should be grateful for the wonderful mechanism that it all is. My back has gone "out" and causing pain. But I am sure it will repair itself. For 64 years I have done untold things with my back. I have lifted loads I should not have lifted. I have twisted it in ways it was not designed to be twisted in. I have neglected to look after it and keep it supported, but it has and will serve me well. So I should not growl that for a few weeks out of 64 years I am feeling like an invalid. This old body has, and will still serve me well. It is just a hiccup - or two. 

No comments: