Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Pics and a quote from a few days' holiday.


Pounawea Falls in the Catlins area.
My son with his exuberant, expressive daughter exploring the sea at Kaka Point. 
18 month old grand daughter busy exploring life as per normal.
The view from the front courtyard of the house we rented.
On the walk to Nugget Point Light House.
The light house - now automatic.

We went for a few days holiday down to Nugget Point on the coast about one and a half hours south of Dunedin. The weather has not been really warm so we have been reading magazines in the house we are renting. I share this quote from  NZ artist Bill Sutton who died in 2000;
“When I have my breakfast I cut off a slice of bread for myself and one for the birds. We are in it all together.” He wrote that in 1992. Quite a healthy perspective.
I have realised how tired I am. The lead up to Christmas and my retirement was very busy. While on holiday I did not have to sit or lie very long before I fell asleep during the day. It was like my body was slowly releasing years of tension. As soon as I relaxed I tended to get drowsy. 
That all changed with a phone call. I had a firefighter phone and ask if I would take his father's funeral. Of course I said "yes", (I know the family reasonably well) but even though it is days away, I am feeling the old tension rising. I have been retired less than a week and I get work? I hope it does not keep happening this frequently. 

No comments: