Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Back into Covid restrictions

 Yesterday the wider Auckland City in New Zealand went into Covid Alert level 3. People are rushing to get groceries and Covid tests. The rest of New Zealand has gone into Covid level 2 where there are lockdowns for rest homes, social distancing and no gatherings of over 100. We are in the South Island so we are reasonably safe. Initially it is for three days while they work on tracing to find out where and how it happened and how widespread it is. We are cautious because our "neighbours" in Melbourne Australia had Covid pretty much under control, but it got away on them again. So our Government wants to clamp down on it as fast as possible so that does not happen here.  I received an email from the boss at the Brewery that I cannot do my chaplaincy visit there today. (It was funny - the manager wrote "If you need a listening ear to let off steam, feel free to give me a phone call." - that is my role in the company! It was a nice offer.) I checked with the fire service, and I can visit fire stations but there are protocols in place. I feel for the Government and Prime minister. They have done a really good job, but after 102 days of no community transmission there was one family found to have Covid19.  There is now discussion locally about whether we ought to have Church on Sunday. The problem is that most of us at Church are in the "vulnerable" age group. They have not yet banished us oldies to stay home, but caution us about getting out and about.

There is an election to happen here in September, so the opposition party are busy highlighting the failure. Earlier they were wanting open borders and a freeing up of things. They claimed the Government was being too cautious. It is amazing how politicians' ideas change when they think they can score points.

Vehicle woes. 



Early this week I also had some other bad news. My 2002 Nissan Presage car broke down early in Lockdown. A link to the Anti sway bar broke. As soon as I could I ordered a new one which was "20 working days" out of Japan. At about 30 working days I emailed and they said, it is now "8 weeks away!" That expired on Monday so I emailed and was told that it is in a container on the wharf in Japan, still 4-6 weeks away! I had tried wreckers without success. I even asked an engineer if it was repairable. I had been looking at the part and stewing about a possible repair myself. So, late on Monday afternoon I buried myself in the workshop and spent a few hours grinding, drilling, hammering and ended up with a "repaired" link. Yesterday, Wednesday, with mist falling I jacked up my car and fitted it. Amazingly the plan in my mind went well in practice. It fitted! I went for a drive waiting for it to break, or rattle but it seems to be going well. 

There is something good about a plan that you have stewed on in your head, coming together! Whatever you are working on, if you have stewed on it and have a dream, when it eventuates there is a feeling of fulfilment, an inner affirmation that you are not so stupid after all. It may not last but it only has to last 6 weeks, hopefully! If we go into lockdown again, it will not get much use. I have another much older vehicle but it does have issues. Wish me luck.

No comments: