Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

I LOVE NEW ZEALAND

I have lived nearly all my life in New Zealand, except for four years in Australia. (I have some good friends there - but don't tell my NZ mates) I am so fortunate to have lived here. I have visited other places. Scotland I loved. England - London- York - I really enjoyed. In spite of the fact we had lousy accommodation, I enjoyed Amsterdam. Other places I enjoyed, but it was ALWAYS good to come home to New Zealand. Most recently with a Labour Government led by a very empathetic, clear thinking person, it has made me proud to be a New Zealander. Of course like everywhere, we have our problems. But I like our more egalitarian values. I like that we have a treaty with Maori, the indigenous people and we are constantly working out what that means. Anyway we are in Christchurch and in our motel there is a wall hanging with familiar New Zealand phrases and listings of well known New Zealand items. I simply share that in honour of my country.

"Choice" slang for "Good"

Stubbies - a style of mens shorts or small bottle of beer.

"Sweet as" - "Choice" - good, OK, "that's fine"

Hokey Pokey - a sugary sweet often included in Ice cream! 

Kia Ora - Maori Greeting Aroha - Love

Jandals - simple beach shoe with straps between the first and second big toe holding the soul on. (Pictured above the word by "Sheep"

AOTEAROA - Maori name for NZ

BUZZY BEE - a wooden NZ child's toy.

Your neck of the woods - your locality - where you come from.

KIWI - a flightless bird which has become our symbol. We love to call ourselves and be called "KIWI's"

KIWI AS BRO - proud to be a Kiwi

TIKI - Maori greenstone carved figure hung around the neck.

HAKA - Maori "challenge" dance. 

The Land of the long white cloud - an English translation of a phrase Maori used for New Zealand.

My life has been full of grace - unmerited favour. One of those great graces has been the country I have lived in and loved.

"Just sayin'" "Kiwi as Bro!" "NZ - Sweet as!"


Two posts in one night? I guess when you are facing Chemo and Immunotherapy the next day, that is what you do. We also watch on our Maori TV channel an excellent talk show. - It is a pity our TV producers on other channels try to emulate stupid shows from other countries. - This one was as kiwi as and really good.

No comments: