Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Family, fulfillment and feeling good

The family when we were a lot younger.
Family
All  my children are over 30 now, adults with their own spouses or partners. My oldest child has a birthday today, so last night she, her husband, my youngest son and his fiancee came for an evening meal.  It was the first time the fiancee had been at our house so my daughter and son began showing her family photos and chatting about the family events the photos revealed. Then we rang the son in Edinburgh, Scotland and skyped with son, daughter in law and grand daughter in Auckland. As I sat there the phone and computer got handed around. There was good natured bantering going on. The kids were interested in each other and chatted with warmth and humour. I looked and listened and felt pleased and proud. Here was a family who loved, accepted and cared for one another. I was not the most consistent dad. My wife was always the loving level headed caring mum. But either my kids are resilient or somehow we did something right, they are turning out to be fine men and women with a beautiful variety of personality. For that I am thankful. I have no doubt that like me they will have their moments. I hope and pray that they will continue to find love, growth and fulfillment. ... at the moment I could leave this life and feel good about the family I've helped shape.
Chatting
Today shortly after 8 a.m. I hit the office and at around 6 p.m. I was back at the office to pack up and go home. I did not really stop "working" all day. I have had heaps of conversations during the day. I am learning that being a chairman of a group is not just facilitating meetings, but chatting with members of the Trust, picking their brains and assisting them to do their thing - about two hours were spent chatting with Night Shelter Trust Board members. I enjoy the company of like minded people.  An hour was spent chatting about working-with-people issues with a social work student on fieldwork placement with me. I came to realise much of what I have learned has happened through trial and error and reflection on that. I also chatted with ambulance staff, the city's street sweeper (he's going to buy me some cholesterol reducing nuts - lovely guy!) other guests in Space2B, and firefighters. Just now after my evening meal I nearly fell asleep in front of the fire. I have some more reading for sermon preparation to do before I go to bed. I am still distracted by health issues but - I believe, so far, I have made a difference for good today.  I'm pleased about that!

No comments: