Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I watched a film!

Today I have worked about ten hours with little sleep last night. I did some things that were on my plan to do, and there were some extra unplanned things I needed to respond to. Other things mucked up my plans for the week ahead. Tonight I switched off. My wife had wanted us to go to the films but one of the unplanned responses meant I was working past the start time for the movie to begin, so I suggested hiring a DVD might have to do. I share with you a couple of things.
First-  I have been fielding phone calls about our Christmas dinner, had face to face meetings about it and also listened to comments about the Night Shelter and our other programs at the Church. I have had offers of volunteers wanting to be part of Christmas day. A minister rang wondering how his Church could assist. I have been encouraged by the good name our Church and our work has in the community. While there are many frustrations, we are making an impact.
Secondly - I share two classic lines from the film... It was "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" and I enjoyed it. The two quotes are...
"Life is like a wave,
resist it and you'll get knocked over.
Dive into it and you'll swim out the other side."
and
"The only real failure is the failure to try.
The measure of success is how we cope with disappointment."
They rang bells with me, though I am not sure how they apply to my life. I am a bit weary of trying! I keep diving in though sometimes even when you dive in the wave turns you over a few times before you emerge. Another quote from the film...
"It will all be alright in the end. If it is not alright, it is not the end yet." 

No comments: