Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

It rang bells!

I got this in a "Workplace Support"  news letter... I like it... I think it is why I always get uneasy about people who prattle on about "doing verses being" and "you have to look after yourself" etc. etc. : 
"The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he is always doing both." James A. Michener.


The Night Shelter is in the local community paper again today. 

This is board member, John and I outside the Night Shelter buildings the Trust wants to buy. John and I did a one year Community and Social work Certificate course together in 1994. We had a lot of fun as two of three men in a class with about 18 women. We ran together at lunch times, did gym workouts together, class projects and sometimes had quiet drinks at a local pub. We would not have predicted that over 20 years later we would be together on the Dunedin Night Shelter Trust still doing projects. He is a property wheeler and dealer and I am a retired minister. He is considerably younger than me.  He is well off, I am content, but considerably poorer than he is. We are very different in many ways, but we work together quite well and I enjoy our continuing link.

No comments: