Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Do chooks talk?

This afternoon I went to the hen house to put more mash in their feeder.  I throw a few handfuls of wheat into the yard which has them all out of the hen house, out from under my feet. (We only have 5 hens) I then went into the hen house with a bag of mash and began tipping it into their virtually empty feeder. One hen came in, nosed up to the feeder and dipped into the mash. She turned and went out to the yard, clucking noisily.  She returned with all of the others in tow and they all came up to the feeder to check it out!

It was just as if upon discovering that there was new mash in the feeder, she rushed out and said, "Hey girls he has just put new mash in, come and get it!". ... you would swear that she communicated something?  Not scientific but interesting.

No comments: