Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Still little children


I loved the above cartoon in the Otago Daily Times this morning. In the previous cartoons the house has been robbed. Calvin leans on Hobbes for support, the mum leans on the dad for support and dad wonders who supports him. Here he is having a sleepless night and comes up with something that is funny, because it rings bells. I think it is true of so many of us. We try to come across as if we know it all, but in fact underneath we are insecure, struggling and often have more questions than answers. We do "Ad-Lib" life.

Well that's me anyway.... I have insights along the way but lots of questions and uncertainties. I see lots of people who I think are just as uncertain, and unsure but because they are adults, or male, or meant to be independent are hiding behind a facade of "certainty", "staunchness" "cynicism" and sometimes even, when we are really uncertain and scared, "anger". (To keep people at a distance) We have this concept that the truly successful person is a Clint Eastwood character, strong, independent and individualistic. It would not hurt us more often to say, "Help me", or "I don't know" or "I am scared" or "What do you think?" or something that connects us in honesty with others in this weird journey called life. I love the Robert Fulgrum sentence that concludes his bit of prose on "All I need to know I learned at Kindergarten". It runs something like this, "It is still true that when you go out into the world you need to hold hands and stick together." The trouble is most of us like to give the impression we don't need anyone else.

No comments: