Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Good vibes





Returning home.
In 1981 in just about my last service in my Palmerston North ministry, we had a whole pile of visiting Australian young people who were in NZ for a Youth Convention. I led the service on the theme of "Traveling Light". I had become convinced that we in the western world travel with too much baggage and make too much of an impact on the world we live in. For the next few years we explored this whole area of living. As a field worker I ran groups on "Living Light". We in our lifestyle lived for a while a self-sufficient "Good-life" lifestyle. I believed this was important. Years ago I read a book by John V Taylor called "Enough is Enough" and became a convert long before these things were more fashionable. When I explored it in groups at the beginning of this ministry I recall it being rubbished by various people. I have generally shut up about it, though we have continued to try to live something of a simple lifestyle, seeking to live generously and aware of our impact on the planet.

We have been getting to know a woman who is running "Sustainable Living" courses in our Church building. Her name is Maureen and we enjoy her passion, have learned from her and been reminded of things we used to be more vocal about years ago. Last week she led our "Conversation Group" on the subject of "Voluntary Simplicity". Afterward I dug into my file cabinet and found the outline of courses I used to run on the subject and a folder full of notes, articles and quotes. I will share something of these in future posts. It is interesting that this is once again emerging in my life.

On Saturday Maureen was hosting a workshop in our Church's Space2B area on "Bikes and Sustainability." People brought their different bikes in. I felt I should be there to act as local host setting up and making sure people felt at home. I cycled in and my rusty old bike joined the others. I learned about various electric assist bikes, cargo bikes and bikes and trailers made from other people's thrown out stuff. But much more than that I enjoyed the people.

There were all sorts of people there. University professors and graduates. Young people and older people. People from overseas and good old Kiwis. But they had passion! They lived their life mindful of the impact they were having on the environment! They were passionate about justice! They were anti-consumerism and yet very much fun and full of life and appreciation of life! I don't know, but my guess is that while most of them may have started in Christian homes, they had now outgrown their religion. But they were concerned that their lifestyle was ethical in its impact. They had wide circles of concern. They were global citizens. For me it felt like I was coming home. I was, for once, among people I could feel at home among. I was not the oddball on a different wave length like I feel in most circles. I was so so pleased that these people were making themselves at home in my church building and that we were encouraging them in their journey. I did wonder why the average "Christian" would find themselves not on their wave length? To me their attitudes were a natural implication of the way of Jesus and faith in the God Jesus portrayed. I was rapt when one young man who works with young people in this whole area, asked if he could use our church building as a base. We will make it happen. It is feeling like my life has come in a circle and I can be freer to express myself in these areas again.

"Community Development"?
On Friday I had reason to meet a woman I knew years ago. She had taught a series of sessions in a Social and Community work course I took in 1994. Now she is linked with University Social work courses. As we talked, prior to my reminding her where we had met before, she said, "You have been doing 'community development' in different ways in Dunedin for years haven't you?" I responded that, yes.. I had been around for a while. She said, "It seems like I am constantly coming across your name and your activities." I guess I had never categorised my work as "community development". I was trying to communicate to her what Space2B was all about and it helped focus it in my mind. I said that I was wanting Space2B to be a hub or centre for "life enhancing activities" to take place. I wanted life enhancing groups to feel they can attach themselves to us and we can help resource them. I was pleased with her positive feedback.

At the end of this week I am more positive that Space2B is going to be a success and a very relevant community orientated expression of the church. Funny when last week I wanted to chuck it all in. I am weird!

Photos: Bikes in Church.
and a heavy cloud formation from the top of "my" mountain during a lovely walk this afternoon.



No comments: