Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Looking back from Sunday


A Busy week
This last week has been exceptionally busy. I could list off all the responsibilities I have fulfilled, but that would bore you. From hanging a gate on a Habitat for Humanity House on Tuesday through to leading the service this morning there has really been no spare time or let up. There have been times when I have been angry, frustrated (My computer crashed mid-week) anguished and hassled, but I am so grateful that I managed the week quite successfully. I share some times when I believe God smiled. (Metaphorically speaking of course)
Guys helping each other..
Last year we started "Space2B" at our Church. As part of that we began Settlement Resource@Space2B. My friend Noel takes responsibility or this. We open the church on Wednesdays particularly for new settlers to NZ. I called up to the Space2B area at the church and Noel, originally from the Philippines, was helping an Indian guy practice his telephone interview skills. He had a job interview the next day. Next on the program Noel had a Chinese visiting academic (in the business studies area) practicing a presentation he has to make in June in the English language. Muthiah from India, Noel and I sat and listened. I looked at the scene and I'm sure "God was smiling". Four guys from different ethnic backgrounds helping each other. There were smiles, laughter and genuine care.
Conversation Group
In the evening on Wednesdays in Space2B we have started a "conversation group", people who want to explore issues. I led this week and took up Marcus Borg's presentation on God at 2000. I am sure as we small minded people tried to discuss "God", "God was smiling". Minds and hearts expanding just a little bit.
Picnic
Noel organised a picnic for Saturday at the seaside village of Karitane. My daughter and her husband went up and prepared a lovely setting at the Dominican Sisters' cottage there. It was for friends we had encountered at our settlement resource program. We went for a walk around the headland and read about a Maori pa that used to be there from noticeboards along the way. It was a delightful sunny day. As I watched people from Malaysia, the UK, China, NZ, Thailand, India, Philippines walking along in the sun talking, I am sure I felt "God smile".
Wedding
I had to do a speed change into my best suit to race from the picnic, through Dunedin to Mosgiel where I was to lead a wedding for two people from my St John Ambulance chaplaincy. There in a Presbyterian Church, in front of a number of ambulance people and other guests I did a good job of conducting a friendly, enjoyable wedding ceremony that included the sacred. The last act of the ceremony I invited the father of the bride up, (a very religious man) another man who was part of the local ministry team and the three of us prayed for the couple. As I stood around out side chatting to my ambulance friends, and later shared in the meal at the reception, I'm sure I felt "God smile" again.

So in a busy week I can look back and sense that some of my dreams for a relevant ministry are happening... and they were just part of my week.

"Given" a sermon...??
One of my tasks on Friday was to record a radio church service. I had it all planned to work efficiently. I would work out the Radio Service, record it on Friday morning. I would use a part of it for devotions with a bit of a twist, as I met with chaplains on Friday after lunch, and use it again as the basis of Sunday's service. I did it on the lectionary passage. Radio recording went OK, I was a bit rushed. I took some props up to the the chaplains' meeting and did a shortened version of the same thing.... seemed to fit the occasion. I was driving out to the wedding rehearsal on Friday evening and from "somewhere" my mind began to have another "take" on the Bible reading. I came back to the Drop-in centre and still my mind questioned whether I should do the same thing. On Friday night I took pen and paper to bed and jotted down some thoughts. On Saturday morning as I drove the half hour to the picnic, the sermon began to evolve in my head. As I sped from picnic to wedding in a mad rush, even then the sermon evolved. Again I went to bed with pen and paper and the sermon gelled. People have often used the cliche about "the word the Lord has given to us to speak", well I believe he does lead and certainly today it felt like that. It wasn't the sermon I had planned. I carefully and quietly outlined the message in church this morning. Don't ask my how or why, but it was what I was meant to say.

Who is my "boss"?
In my last post I told you about the issues raised at the board meeting and how I was reminded that these old regulars are the ones who give the money. The implication is that "if they pay the fiddler, they pick the tunes". For twenty odd years at this church and at other times when I have pushed for change, I have been reminded of this. I got to stewing on that and its crap! I am responsible to God and the purposes of God, first and foremost, he (or She) calls the shots! And if the Elders' board is true to its calling, it too is responsible to God. The calling of the church is to reach out to the world with the love of God. It is NOT to entertain the troops. I have to honestly and diligently work out the what the will and way of God is for our group, and that isn't a popularity contest. Of course I listen to others, and try to communicate carefully and in love to others, but ultimately I am accountable to how I understand God and his will.

Photo: "And God smiled" A bunch of people from different places enjoy each other's company.

No comments: