Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, July 24, 2008

"At your age..."


Yesterday I went back to the gym for the first time in a couple of weeks. As I peddled on the bike I had to ask... "What's an old man like me doing at the gym?" I run and people feel constrained to tell me I should not run "At your age". I go to the gym and people snigger and say, "Are you trying to look young again?". I had a health hiccup recently and endless people say, "See you are doing too much... at your age you should slow down!" What is a man to do? Dylan Thomas wrote...
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage, against the dying of the light!"
But the desiderata advises me to "gracefully surrender the things of youth".
What attitude should I take?
I hope as I grow old that I will still stay young with a sense of wonderment, a readiness to still learn and grow, a sense of humour and adventure. As for the gym and exercise... I know that because I have kept exercising moderately in my life I am a more useful human being, able to do more and endure longer. So whatever people think, I will still be doing it!
God keep my heart attuned to laughter,
When youth is done
when all the days are gray days, coming after
the warmth, the sun.
God keep me then from bitterness,
from grieving,
When life seems cold;
God keep me always loving and believing
as I grow old.... (Author unknown)

What is a man to do at my age? Does anyone know?


No comments: