Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Brothers & sisters on the journey


Blogging makes you think about who you are and how you would describe your ideals to others. It is my belief that we are all kindred on the journey of life. A verse in a song we sing goes,
"We are pilgrims on a journey,
We are travellers on the road.
We are here to help each other,
walk the mile, and bear the load." (Richard Gillard -The servant Song)

I try to express that in the way I live and the way I view people. When crossing a river while tramping I have joined myself to others by each of us holding on to a common log. This means that if the current tends to sweep one of us off our feet or we trip or slip on a rock, the strength and stability of the others holds us in place. I see this as a picture of our journey in life. We each have different "currents, paths and rocks" to negotiate. We are here to be there for others if they need that extra strength at different times. We too will at various times in life, need the extra strength of others to assist us to journey through the path life takes us. I find that through my community involvements I can experience and express this essential reality, that we are brothers and sisters on the road. Thats a little bit more of who I aspire to be, though I fall far short of the ideals set for me.

No comments: