Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, October 27, 2008

People work....

I spent most of last week building. Yesterday I started early and we got all of the cladding on, then worked on the roof flashings. I was in my element as an ex-plumber. My mind was buzzing about how best to fold the metal to make the roof water tight. Of course working with metal we got cut hands, it was exceptionally hot with the sun shining off the roof and by 6:15 p.m. when we stopped, I was physically quite exhausted. But when we finished we could look at it and say, "We did good!" It was all in place, tight and not bad considering the materials and tools we had to work with. I then rushed off to the church where some fire fighters were waiting with their high rise ladder. The convenor of the property committee and I went up in the ladder to inspect church's slate roof. Some slates have come loose. I said to the property convenor that maybe I could fix them. "No" came the reply. "You are employed as the minister."
Well today I am back, under that roof, working as a minister. I have an awkward meeting to look forward to and lots of contact with people. As hard as building is, there is something nice about finishing a job, looking at it and being able to say "Look, it is done!" Working with people is so much more uncertain, complicated and demanding. I keep choosing to be a minister/chaplain but I guess there will always be a part of me hankering to be on a building site. I still sometimes wonder "What will I be when I grow up?"

No comments: