Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, January 8, 2009

"If a man looks at a woman lustfully ..."

I have trouble, you might be able to help. Jesus said, "..anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery..." Summer, then, is a difficult time for men who try to be good! Women wear less clothing and some look ... well gorgeous! And a man with any blood running through his veins cant help but glance? If God wants it differently, why is it so difficult not to? I saw a tee shirt the other day that read, "Will your boobs please stop staring at my eyes!" Well its a bit like that for us guys. I was conversing with an attractive lady the other day who wore a VERY low cut summer dress. I WAS a good boy, but it was hard to concentrate on the conversation because a little voice had to keep saying in my head, "Look at her eyes.... Look at her eyes...Look at her eyes.... Don't glance down, she will notice!" I got caught out once. I was in my car at an intersection waiting for the lights. Walking across in front of me were two delightful looking young women and I was idly "staring". All of a sudden one of these beautiful ladies waved at me and smiled... it was my neice! I felt sooo small! The romantics say... "I only have eyes for you!" Yeah right! I heard a preacher say that its not the odd glance that Jesus is talking about but the dwelling on it... the leering. I think it has something to do with not being able to look past the physical and recognise all the dimensions of being a person. It is our perspective on people that Jesus is talking about, and how we view them. But if I was God I would have made it easier for us men(married men especially) to be better behaved. There should be a switch that we can adjust to suit the climate and circumstance. I was talking to a man the other day who was telling me how his older teenage daughter brings her friends over and they lie about in their bikinis... he said "Its easier just to leave the house!" Its not only us men too... I heard of a mother and daughter going down the road in holiday mode looking at passing men and scoring them, "9" or "8" or "Hey mum, he's a 10!". My conversation with God today goes... "Well Lord, I really thank you for sexuality and all that it brings into life. I enjoy this part of life so much and it brings added dimensions in terms of relationships, play, bonding and even stress relief etc.... thank you for this precious gift. I guess you will understand my difficulties and appreciate my attempts to be disciplined... and understand the times when I fail. But over all... in spite of its difficulties... A big thank you Lord for this part of life." Even at my age I have more questions than answers about this dimension of life. I might explore this further one day.... don't think too badly about me, I'm just a man. (Sorry no photo added today... the blog could get flagged!)

1 comment:

CloudKicker said...

I hear you on that!

http://www.bibleissues.org/

Check out the article on lust. And study it out for your self.