Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, January 1, 2009

What a mixed up minister!

I went for a New Years day picnic lunch with my wife's family. Its a tradition that we have. After that I came home and checked the answer phone. There was a message on it from a guy who was at the Christmas dinner. I had talked to him on the phone, but never got to meet him. Could I ring him back. I wanted to go for a bike ride, so mumbling that I should be allowed to have New Years Day free of phone calls, I jumped on my bike for a ride, intending to ring him when I got back. I no sooner came in the door after my ride than the phone was ringing again.... it was him. He asked if he could have a food parcel... all he had left in the house for two guys was some bread and vegemite. It is 12 k into town from our place, it was 5:30 at night and I selfishly thought, "no, he can wait, I won't go in until the morning". I told him I would contact him in the morning and work out what we could do for him. I grumbled as I hung up the phone. "He must have known he was running out of food before New Years Day? Before the food banks close? What right has he got to disturb my life? We don't actually run a food bank! We collect for one of the big ones ...mumble, mumble, mumble..."

Today I went into town... I should have had the day off really, it's a stat holiday! But I had to see to him and there were some other things to do at the office. As soon as I hit the office the phone rang and it was him again. He was hungry when was I going to deliver? He needed enough to last till Tuesday. We got some from the cupboard that had been donated, bought some more at the supermarket and delivered it around to him. On his door step I smiled pleasantly and handed it over. I said goodbye and good luck and jumped back in the car. As I drove away I got the guilts.... "Maybe I should have stayed and talked?"..... "Maybe he was someone who needed more friendship than food?".... "Jesus said to 'deny yourself'... I have been so selfish!" ... "Gee I am callous!"

Who am I? The grumpy minister who relunctantly provides a food parcel? Or the caring man who feels guilty about not doing more? What is the right path? What attitude should I have taken? What does Jesus expect? Grrr... well he's not going to go hungry anyway and I did manage some time off today. I biked again and I got wet! :-( I should have biked this morning when the weather was calm, but I was arranging a food parcel....mumble mumble mumble. Oh well... I will sort life out one day.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

It would be interesting to know a little more about these "guys". Are they so destitute and physically helpless they can do nothing for themselves? - For example, they even had the food delivered to them.

Are they able-bodied, grown men, or is there more to the story?

Dave Brown said...

I don't know much about him, that's why I felt the guilts. He seemed an able bodied man when he came to the door, quite articulate mature (50's) but I suspect had mental health issues, but did not look like there was drug or drink issues. I think delivery was expected, they lived around 7k from the church, but was more convenient for me anyway. I have questions. Why on New Years day? Part of a group of people in our community who become dependent on handouts? In the 70's such people were employed in say railways, building sites and had expectations of them and work mates.etc.etc. In our more efficient times there is no room for them, so they sit on benefits, going downhill mentally and physically. From my perspective I say "grow a garden!" "Raid the skips" "Do some voluntary work." but I am aware I do not have their issues. It's a funny life and sometimes easier for a lazy minister to just dole out the food. :-)