Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday night Burble

Late this evening when I left my office I bought some chips. I know that it was bad for my cholesterol and my waistline but I had to celebrate some how. Today was my last day of work. I am on holiday for “23 consecutive days” says the “ministers’ appointment guide book..” Well I’ll believe it tomorrow, I have been busy finishing off last minute stuff, tidying the church office and getting final reports done.

I need a holiday. I could “feel” 2009 starting to crank up and I was dreading it. For example we had a Habitat for Humanity Directors meeting the other night and I visualized all the work ahead….There is to be another house starting some time in March. I have had some of our Drop-in centre people wondering when it is going to start up again. It all feels too much, too hard and too busy. I am hoping that three weeks off will rejuvenate me and put fire in my belly again..

Future …I have decisions to make for my future. How do you know when you are “passed your used by date” at a church? Should you fear and feel responsible for the impact on the congregation and community of that church if you decide to move on? I have the possibilities of spending ten hours a week doing something different. Should I be tackling new and different jobs at my stage of life?

Exercise Report. Five weeks ago I set myself a target of exercising every day over the next 5 weeks. Well I failed. I think I exercised an average of 5 days a week. It is better than nothing and I think I feel better. Some of you might know. Does it take longer to regain fitness as you get older? It seems to me that it does. I am hoping to maintain that program for the next 3 weeks. A friend and I talked tonight about aiming for a half-marathon again.

Ed Hillary I have been reading an Ed Hillary biography. What an incredible life. He was not a perfect man, not always making the right decisions and had his share of normal human weaknesses. But here was a guy who used his fame for the good of others, and kept doing it even when it was tough. I am falling in love with him all over again. He was a hero of my childhood and his life story is moving me, inspiring and challenging me in my “older age”.

No comments: