Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, October 5, 2009

There are bastards in the world.




When my wife complains about someone I often just say as a joke and light hearted dig, "You just have to learn that there are bastards in the world!" Well I heard about some today who make me mad, sad and angry.

I had a close friend from Adelaide die just before Easter, Ian Corlett was his name. Pride of place at the funeral service was his restored 1912 Triumph Motorbike. It is a work of art, he had spent many many hours restoring it, not to mention a lot of dollars. It was really a family heirloom... it was the only one of its kind in Australia and his widow and family treasured it as a priceless memory of their loved husband and father.

Well I skyped with my friend's widow today and her first words were, "I am pissed off!" and as the tears flowed she told me the story of how some people ("bastards") had stolen the bike. Of course it is insured but that really is of no consequence. It was Ian's work of art! It was part of the family and really one of the few expressions of Ian still around.

Whoever they are must have known the trauma this family had gone through in the sudden loss of Ian, and added to the trauma by stealing his bike. My friend's widow is courageously saying, "In the scheme of things its only a motorbike, other people in Samoa are burying their children, but it still hurts!" If you hear of a restored 1912 Triumph for sale let me know please. I promise I will not kill the "bastards". I just want this family I love to have his bike back.

No comments: