Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Another week of "grace". .


"Grace" = undeserved favour... in this case "special good experiences".

Christmas Dinner miracles happening 

We are of course planning for our twenty first Community Christmas Day dinner. One would think I would be getting used to it all by now, but it never ceases to amaze me the way people support our efforts. This week I have had an offer of a musician for the day. A lady from a business near the church gave a $50 donation. I replied to a lawyer's phone message and immediately he said, "Now Dave you want some money? Who do I make the cheque out to?" Guests ring up to book in and tell us how much it has meant to them. As I have said before, I feel like I am on a surf board riding a wave of love and friendship that I am lucky enough to be part of the connecting point for.

International Pot-luck pleasure. 

On Wednesday lunch time we had a potluck lunch. There was Japanese sushi, Indian rice, NZ "cheerios", and other international dishes and desserts. What was special were three singers. Maureen from Ireland played a couple of numbers on two different Irish woodwind instruments. Then she sang a song which she later told me represented her faith. It rang bells with me. Rosie sang two lovely Indian songs, with distinctly Indian tones and style of music; then Cristina sang an American Christmas song. The mixture was beautiful.

Following discussion...

Some of us carried on after the dishes were washed to discuss "spirituality" and our dreams for the Space2B area in the church. We shared our thoughts and dreamed of possibilities for the future. If these dreams come to fruition it is beginning to evolve as I hoped it would. Watch this space... a new form of "church" could be happening in little old Dunedin. It was good having people on a similar wave length thinking of possibilities and getting excited.

Warm relationships...

Again I was moved on Thursday and Friday by the feeling of warmth that I received from my Chaplaincy visits. I hope my presence helps them, but I often come away feeling affirmed. On Friday I was at the main fire station when we got a call to a vehicle accident. We arrived and found the ambulance crew there. Of course I received cheek then from people from both services. They warned bystanders that there was a "... silver headed priest on the loose!" The warmth and friendship was affirming.

Great team effort and "feel" on the Habitat site.

On Saturday I was privileged to be part of a great day on site. The weather was perfect and every body seemed keen to work. There was hard physical labour teamed with a sense of humour and friendship. You can read about it on the Dunedin Habitat blog.

"Church" is a verb...

As I was walking and talking with a friend tonight she came up with a great phrase that described my feelings about church. We were discussing various aspects of Church life and my frustrations etc. and she simply said something like, "We must remember 'Church' is a verb!" I love that! 

Anyway... I have had a very busy and tiring week, but these experiences of "grace" and friendship energise me.

Photo: Habitat friendship.. 3 of the team - Left to right.. middle aged Maori; young American; old Pakeha Kiwi. (me) Nearly finished a fence project for the day.

 


No comments: