Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, December 7, 2009

What is "Church"?


Lately in our Church we have involved people and groups from the community in different ways. A woman contracted to the local City Council has been running sustainability workshops from out of our building. I declared that there would be no charge for the use of the rooms, because I thought the cause consistent with the Christian Gospel. I have encouraged PACT, (Patients Aid Community Trust) who work with mental health or handicapped patients to use our Drop-in facilities each Tuesday morning. We have open Settlers Resource@Space2B and new immigrants and others are using our building. I love it! It is my dream for the church to be a hub, a centre which is a catalyst, a base where people connect with each other and fuller more whole lives are encouraged.

We have been talking about extending this to another group, and forming a community group to meet needs of particular people to further use our resources this way. I was talking to one of my much loved elders about this. He is one who has been supportive, helpful and involved, but it would be fair to say is older and has an earlier concept of what is "church". He agreed with the directions I was outlining but then said, "It's like we are subsidising these groups though. We are paying part of the costs for their activity. That's a concern." I said something I believe to be true. I said that I think one way or another, if the groups are valid we would find money to cover the costs. I find that generally people see the value, and money can be attracted if you earn your credibility. But I did not want to knock the guy, and would love to have said, "Isn't this a valid part of the mission of the church? Is not this sort of thing the reason for the church's existence? We will devote all sorts of money to running Sunday morning church for ourselves. Surely the Church as 'salt' and 'light' in the community should see devoting money into such community ministry is a valid part of its essence and calling? It should not be a grudging 'subsidising' of those groups out there, but a joyful sharing and participation in the movement of God in the community. We should be excited that they want to be a part of us. " Jesus was not wrapped up in "church-for-the-sake-of-church", he was let loose in the community, involved with all sorts of people. His "body" should also be doing that.

Oh well.... change is slow.

Some of us on the "outreach" ministry of our church have invented a slogan for where we want the church to be headed. It goes like this;

Connecting people
Celebrating Diversity
Engaging Communities.

No comments: