Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Scary privilege...



I have just started a new chaplaincy. I am now chaplain for Allied Press in Dunedin. It's a long time since I started a chaplaincy. It is a scary process. You go into a room full of people working on computers and you have to meet them without "hovering". I walked up some stairs onto the next floor and stepped into this big "editorial" room. Upon entering through the door I saw everyone had looked up from their screen and was staring at me... "Who is this?" you can see them ask. "Oh its the new chaplain... don't catch his eye!" It is scary. Will they accept me? Will I make a fool of myself? How can I break the ice? What do you say after "Hello"? So I have been talking with a few who seemed to catch my eye, but not hovering.

Then again I have found it a privilege. People have told me about their work, and it's so interesting. This afternoon I saw the inner workings of a plate maker. I have followed a newspaper in its production and seen it being put together bit by bit on the computers and sent around the building. It is just so interesting meeting new people and learning about their expertise and work. Such a privilege.... but still scary for this insecure old man.

The building is an old building. I have got lost several times. When I said goodbye to one guy I could not find my way out! Other workers had knocked off for the night. I hope I make it... I generally try to just tread slowly and one by one meet staff as the time seems right. I hope they are patient enough for my style.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

Are they going to run something in the ODT to welcome you? Surely getting the best workplace chaplain in town on board is worthy of a small piece in the local paper?

If so, let me know, and I will buy that edition.

Nice photo..... That is such a beautiful building.

Dave Brown said...

"Horses for courses"... I could be a disaster there. I tend to think of myself as an OK "blokes" chaplain... I am scared of women! And there's lots of women there.