Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, April 22, 2010

One of those days...


I had one of those days today. No I am not going to grump again. It was a very busy day, not enough hours or energy in it, but with a good measure of success in it.
  • Because our log burner had not been performing lately I got up, had breakfast and before I went into the office I swept the chimney. The roof was a bit slippery with the dew, but the log burner is functioning well tonight.
  • After a quick shower, I ventured into the office, checked emails etc. had a cup of coffee (beautifully brewed I must say) then went to my latest chaplaincy, the one I have been struggling to feel at home in. I had a good couple of hours. Had meaningful conversations with a number of people I had not shared with before and ventured into the television station area. I explained to the manager there that someone had told me not to call there in my afternoon visits, but he reassured me, telling me to call any time, "You are one of the family, feel welcome to come in." I got to stand in a studio as they prepared for a programme. It was a heart warming visit.
  • Over lunch in Space 2B something good happened. It is my dream for Space2B to be a centre where all sorts of things happen. We have a Settlement Resource program running and making great strides, centred on Wednesday lunch times. New settlers are being assisted. My dream is for different groups, positive life enhancing movements and community projects to attach themselves to Space2B and operate from our church community base. Or that Space2B will facilitate the formation of groups doing life enhancing stuff in the community. A woman we have got to know and appreciate runs sustainability programs for the city council, using our church building. We have used her for a Space2B workshop and I had floated the idea of a Sustainability centre based at Space2B. Her and I had emailed back and forth about this around Christmas/New Year, but neither of us had moved on about it. I felt I did not want to push her into something she may not want to do. Well while I was eating my lunch she came in and in her lilting Irish voice said, "Now David, we have to talk about an environment centre." I said "Yes, let's!" and we began to plan for a beginning in September, focusing on Thursday lunch times, building in other workshops and resources. My dream is evolving as I had hoped! Watch this space! "Sustainable Living Hub @ Space2B" is emerging!
  • We lost a pianist last year with the young Korean lady who used to play for us moving overseas. Today I think I have finalised things with a replacement.
  • I finished the day with a 5.5k run. It was a nice night for running. I have to admit that it was harder than I thought and every other runner was faster than me, (I am sure they were half my age though) but it is good to get a mid week run in.
I came home feeling that life wasn't too bad after all. :-)

Photo: The log burner operating as it should... the first success of the day.

No comments: