Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Saying "Hello" is a religious act!


Yesterday I was reading up some Bible commentaries about the reading for this Sunday. It is the resurrection story in John where Jesus meets the disciples on the beach. According to the story they are in the boat about one hundred yards out. After a big catch of fish Peter recognises that the man on the beach who told them where to fish was Jesus. He puts on his cloak and jumps overboard to go and meet Jesus.

William Barclay comments on this act. "Peter was not actually naked. He was girt with a loin cloth as the fisher always was when he plied his trade. Now it was Jewish law that to offer a greeting was a religious act, and to carry out a religious act a man must be clothed..." Don't you love the old language?

I finished reading the commentaries and wandered around to visit the Allied Press Buildng to do my chaplaincy there. I walked into a work area and said "Hi" to a guy, offering my hand in a handshake. Those William Barcley words hit me...."A religious act".... "I just did something sacred!" I thought to myself. What a great thought. To greet another human being is a religious, sacred act. Wow! It is essentially true. I can't remember the words but Indians have a greeting. They press their palms together, bow their head and utter this word. The phrase means "I worship the God in you". Wouldn't it be great if we remembered that? Anyway thought I'd share that little epiphany with you.

My William Barclay collection. ... I did my theological training at the College of the Bible in Glen Iris, Melbourne, Australia. (The college has changed its name and moved to Mulgrave now.) During our training we had responsibilities in Student Churches. For my first three years I was student minister at Tootgarook Church of Christ on the Mornington Peninsula. In the congregation was a beautiful retired minister named Reg Bolduan. In his time Reg had been a missionary in India and also quite a successful minister. (The best sermon I ever heard was Reg. He spent the time telling us his quandary about filling out his tax form. How did he describe his work? What was the "business of his workplace"? It was cleverly done and I still remember the punch line.) My last service at the church was an evening baptismal service. Reg had always been so supportive of me, a young "God's gift to the Church" brazen student minister. He joined in the pre- service prayer time. Then very quietly he came to me and led me out into the dark car park. He said, "I want to give you something." He opened the boot of his car and bundled up was a full set of William Barclay commentaries. "You lift them out please they are special to me". He was virtually crying by this time. "They have been a constant help for me, I want you to have them. - I feel like I am parting with friends. You take them and use them well. I know you will"
Every time I use them I think of Reg. He was a liberal thinker, ahead of his time. He used to take me for a quiet walk just before every evening service to help my nerves. "Well Reg - you are well gone now, at one with the one you served I guess,- I am still using them, these friends of ours. I hope you approve of the way I've travelled."

Photo... The well used William Barclay commentaries. I still think he gives very clear background information and lets you know the culture and language. Later commentaries may give up to date perspectives, but I still find his descriptions of words and setting so helpful. He gave them to me in December of 1974.... just over 35 years ago.

No comments: