Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Solitude


Yesterday I had planned to diagnose car troubles, goat proof fences, dig yams and go for a run. The weather put an end to these plans. Instead I did some sorting out in my study at home. I found an old poster I prepared perhaps 25 years ago. It was a sort of graffiti board on which I had written quotes that were meaningful to me and expressed my values. Some had faded and were unreadable but before I threw it out I made sure I had the quotes. I will share a few with you in the next few posts.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions
perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music he hears
however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

After an evening service in my first ministry, a friend, a lady I knew very well came up to me and quoted that at me. She said that I walked to the beat of a different drummer. She commented that I would probably find life difficult because of that, but "keep it up".

Solitude enables you to make contact with yourself
not to repeat like a parrot a few acquired formulas,
but to be the prophet of God within you
who speaks a unique language to each man.(person)
- Antonin Sertilonges

This is why I like to run or walk alone fairly regularly. While I am walking in the bush or jogging down the street I am getting in touch with my inner values. I can finish a walk or run physically stuffed, but inwardly fired up. I love too getting into a book by a good, original thinker. The author's thoughts and words are like a spring board to my own. I will often read madly then scribble madly as I assimilate and work out the implications of what I am reading. It is embarrassing sometimes. While I am walking in the bush I sometimes find myself speaking my thoughts out loud. I turn the corner and find a fellow walker coming the other way looking at me strangely. That happened on Saturday. I was walking, thinking and stewing and talking to myself, and this delightful Maori lady appeared on the other side of a patch of mud. She at first looked horrified, I guess wondering what sort of person she had encountered. After a brief chat she relaxed, but probably still walked on wondering. People keep telling me that I need to be talking to people to get the support I need for my work. While I appreciate the support of people and friends, to be honest I find the best support comes when I have time to talk to and listen to myself. (or is it the God within?) Solitude empowers.

Photo: Silverpeaks bush path. Reminded me of a song. I love Pete Seegar singing... he loves his music and is so natural and genuine as a person. What you see is what you get.

No comments: