Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, May 23, 2010

The week that was.




I have had a very busy week with lots of "interesting" stuff. On Monday I learned of Terry's suicide. That feeling of sadness coloured all of the week. I had activities on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evenings. I had a radio service to record on Thursday, my normal Sunday service and service at an elderly persons' rest home. I had extra meetings slotted into my week as well as normal stuff. I also ended up chairing the night shelter meeting.... the normal chairman was ill.
Terry's friends
During the week I met some of Terry's friends, those from the Waitati community and others. He had been given support and lots of offers of assistance in the last week of his life. Again I ask "Why? Why did you do it Terry?" I was moved by the friendships he had, but also sad that it wasn't enough. One of the special moments was when Terry's mum came up to me after the funeral thanking me for my part in the funeral and my involvement with Terry. I was touched with her openness and her dignity.
Conversation Group
We have a "Conversation Group" and on Wednesday night I felt a certain freedom and companionship as we talked about "God". I could be a heretic and no one minded.
My latest chaplaincy
I was really pleased at my latest chaplaincy. People are greeting me warmly. They are starting to poke fun at me. Some chatted to me about just "stuff". I felt "at home". I will walk there with a much more positive feel. "It" is happening, I am getting "in" slowly.
Drop in Centre
We took a few of our drop in members out to Terry's funeral. (Waitati is about 17 K north of Dunedin.) When we opened the drop-in centre on Friday night we welcomed people and had to tell some about Terry. We passed around a card for Terry's family that people signed. There was a quiet warmth toward each other. It felt like we were a family together recognising that we were precious to one another. It was special.
A nice walk
On Saturday morning I walked the hour into the old Green Hut site in the Silver Peaks, turned into the bush and found the hut that Terry had built. I sat and had lunch there and walked out. The sun was shining. I loved the birdsong, the bush and the expansive views of rugged country side when there were clearings. On one of the frame timbers in the hut one boy named Zac, who said he was ten years old had written some things in pencil. In spite of some terrible spelling, he had one nice sentence. "This world is awesome!" I hope Zac still feels this way, because it is true.

Lucky man
As I look back on this week's activities, its conversations, friendships and challenges I decided that I am a lucky man. I have such variety, I have friendship and I have challenges enough to keep me going.

Photos:
  • The castle that Terry built. ("Egmont Castle") Terry was known locally as the "Earl of Egmont."
  • The country side I was walking through on Saturday.
  • My morning tea at Terry's hut. (When I got home my wife informed me it was my lunch!)

No comments: