Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Friday, October 8, 2010

Chaplaincy makes the news....


There was a photo of me and some firefighters in the local community paper this week. I include the article for friends overseas and to reflect on the nature of chaplaincy. It is written by Bruce Munro.

CHAPLAIN'S HOUSE PAINTED BY FIREFIGHTERS

Grateful firefighters have painted chaplain David Brown's house.

When Rev Brown returned to his Sawyers Bay home after his daughter's (Actually son's) wedding in Poland he was surprised to see the family home had been painted.

Up to a dozen members of New Zealand Fire Service's Dunedin Green Watch had spent between a day and two weeks preparing and painting the house, as well as cutting fire wood and repairing window sills.

Rev Brown is Workplace Support chaplain to the firefighters, Speight's, St John and Allied Press and minister of Church of Christ Community.

"I was very surprised," Rev Brown said. "I'm not used to this. It's a bit hard to be on the receiving end."

He did not know w ho was responsible for the work, "but I had a fair guess (firefighter) Paul Clements was involved".

Mr Clements said he waterblasted Rev Brown's house and organised fellow firefighters to help with painting and other work as a way of "giving something back for all he's given to us".

"He's married and buried people within the brigade," Mr Clements said.

"We respect him for what he does and how he does it," firefighter Mike Meadon said. "It was just a small thing we could do to say thanks."

Rev. Brown said working with the firefighters began 16 years ago and was his first placement as a chaplain.

It was all very nice and I was pleased with the article because it showed Workplace Support Chaplaincy in a good light and also showed the Church to be involved in people's lives in a good way. I have lost a bit of confidence in myself as a chaplain lately. My chaplaincy boss took over St John Ambulance chaplaincy while I was away and I have been subjected to a raft of "Bring back Wendy" jokes and jibes since I got back. Apart from the fact that she looks much better than I do, she did a marvelous job and fitted in with the Ambulance people so well. Of course I begin to wonder, "Maybe there are things I should be doing better?" Allied Press Chaplaincy is difficult too as people have deadlines with their noses in their computers and not much time to connect. I still find it not that easy there. So I have been feeling a little uneasy questioning my own abilities. This is a good thing because we can all drift in our jobs and need to do some self-examination from time to time.

I was pleased yesterday to have a talk with one man in a chaplaincy. He asked if I would marry him and his partner. I agreed but, because of the paper article and comments by others, the conversation went on to talk about the nature of chaplaincy. He is a thoughtful guy and his comment was that he appreciated it, because we know "you are there". He appreciated the non-intrusive nature of the way I do my work and the low key, but important support offered. He said it was good because if they wanted to talk they could, but I did not force myself on to them, though was there with them in a friendly way. I came away feeling a little less like a failure. I really appreciated the comment in the article by Mike Meadon. "We respect him for what he does and how he does it."

People looking at me up front or mixing with people may think I am a "secure confident type." But in reality, I am so insecure and the up front stuff and mixing does not come easily. I am scared of rejection but have to keep putting myself "out there". It is an interesting journey.

Photo: "Stolen" from the online paper. From left... Paul Clements, Mike Meadon, me and Howard Weir. These three guys are respected fire fighters and I am privileged to know them.


No comments: