Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Godly" spam.

There is a man around town who is a "greasy kleptomaniac". I have known him for years and when ever he is in my office, car or church I keep an eye on everything he touches. The thing that annoys me about him is that he will keep saying to me in the most earnest tones, "Bless you David." or "David can I have a blessing off you?" and if I do he will say goodbye and back away repeating, "Bless you David. Bless you. God bless ....David." The more he blesses me the more I wonder what he has stolen! Sometimes he will be effusive with his blessings then get to the point... "Can I have a wee bit of money... say $20.... I just need it to.... I'm a bit short because..." I never give him money these days. Now I am used to people trying to bludge money off me, I can say "no" without falling out with the person most often. What annoys me about this guy is that he is using religion "blessing me" just to get material gain. He will bless me with one breath and if he thinks he can get away with it, steal from me in the next. THAT annoys me! Give me a straight up honest bludger any day. Greasy ones, using religion to try to get what they want piss me off... woops sorry "Annoy me". To me it is low. It is using "God", using a man's faith, and using a false "friendship" to get money. Even if we don't believe, I think we should respect the faith of another. (Let me say that down-and-out people are not the only ones doing this. I have seen advertising sales people, insurance agents, car sales people and real estate agents who are just as low and greasy... in my book.)

In line with this I hate spam mail... full stop... but I really hate spam mail that starts, "Dearly beloved in Christ", "Dear Christ's one" or "My dear brother.... I have chosen you because of your love of the Lord..." That to me is low. I can't do anything about it... but let this be my gripe session. They are greasy low people who do these things. I struggle to respect them. They degrade faith, they degrade me, and they degrade God. Most of all, they degrade themselves! (I know some of my readers may say there are plenty of preachers/evangelists who use religion for money grabbing purposes, ... they too are VERY low. ) Enough said... my gripe for the week.


1 comment:

Dave Brown said...

To illustrate my point... two emails I received this morning 5 spam emails. Two of the subject lines read... "Greetings and God Bless you" and "Dear good friend in Christ".