Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday blog...

Funeral time again.
Tomorrow I have a funeral to lead. It is for the father of a guy in one of my chaplaincies. Some years ago I took his mother's funeral, now I continue to have this pastoral contact with this family. (Interestingly enough the man in my chaplaincy says he is an atheist... but still calls on me at a time like this.) Such is the privilege of chaplaincy and ministry. Because of various circumstances it is a little bit awkward but I no doubt will survive. I have done the first draft of the eulogy and am taking a break. (some might say "procrastinating" - putting off the final decisions about what to include and how to word it.) The other thing about it is that tomorrow is my wife's birthday and with it being our day off we were thinking of some special travel to celebrate... she was not too pleased when she learned of the funeral.
Violent deaths in Norway
My picture of peaceful Norway has been shattered with the terrible news of the massacres and bombings there. I understand that the man who did these things is an ex-soldier who had seen action. I am also saddened by the domestic violence and street violence that happens in beautiful NZ. I wonder why? In Norway I guess this soldier had been trained to kill, and who knows what the war service did to his brain and life. I also get concerned about the amount of and nature of violence on TV. It feels like there are more and more weird ways of killing people being shown for our gratification. I saw a documentary on how exposure to violence on TV screen impacts on the way little kids play with each other. I don't thing we "adult kids" are immune, and maybe, through our entertainment, we teach people unhealthy, destructive and tragic ways to deal with life and relationships.
Jesus' parables
In our Sunday readings we have been talking about some of Jesus' parables and the readings have Jesus frustrated with the fact that people are not "hearing" him.  I am a devoted follower of Jesus. (far from perfect I might add) The more I encounter life, reflect on society and the world, the more convinced I am that the ways and values of Jesus bring relevant hope and direction.  I find his way of life to be a challenge, constantly calling me out of my comfort zone to give myself in service. As difficult as it is, I am so grateful because his calling gives me a depth to life, stretches me as a person and shapes me into a better more whole person. Often over the 40 years I have been in ministry, as I have been preaching, particularly as I have got older and given more, I have looked out on the congregation and thought, "Most of you haven't a clue what I am talking about! You don't understand because you have not really begun to taste what discipleship means!" One man said once that many christians "Have just enough religion to make them miserable - not enough to make the happy.". Now it may sound judgmental, but often I suspect this is true, even for people who have been in Church for years. I think many are immune to the real Jesus, because they have a domesticated-easy-to-handle-church-focused Jesus. I think too that when we have not given ourselves to his servant lifestyle, Jesus is just a vague belief in a metaphysical saviour, and not a dynamic-life-changing-life-enhancing-mentor and "presence".  He comes alive for us when we risk all, and I would suggest most church goers have not risked much. I am saddened by that, because ultimately they miss out. But I do find it difficult to really communicate with them. Often I feel like I am just a good entertainer for an hour.
"I love mankind"
I recall a Charlie Brown cartoon that goes like this. Charlie declares he wants to be a counsellor. Lucy says, "You can't be a counsellor, you don't love mankind!" (sexist language) Charlie yells at her,  "I do so love mankind! It is people I can't stand!"  In Churches I often see a lot of "loving mankind", but often little true involvement with people. A Church I know had a service all about volunteers in the community. Great stuff. But I have been mailing that Church for years wanting volunteers for Habitat for Humanity and for the Night Shelter and have had no response. There are desperate needs amongst people in Dunedin Streets, but so many churches sit around doing their weekly religious bits absorbing funds and space. I thought of this with the Christchurch earthquake. Churches rushed to hold memorial services and light candles, but how many of their number went to Christchurch and got involved with people! I recall some time ago sharing with a Christian man the difficulties I was having in coping with the behaviour of one of our drop-in centre guys, and how it challenges one's wisdom and patience to be as accepting and loving as Jesus calls us to be. He came back with something like, "Oh yes, but we are called to love them unconditionally." I wanted to scream, "That's bloody easy when the totality of your involvement with them amounts to occasionally praying for them in the pew on Sunday!" It is easy to love in the ideal, much harder to love in reality.... but again, even with the difficulties, much more rewarding and fulfilling. When we do that one's "religion" becomes real. There's a lot of "loving mankind", not so much real loving involvement with people.
Snow in Dunedin today... I hope I can get to the funeral tomorrow morning. 
Photo: Our road at lunch time today.

No comments: