Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Keeping junk pays off!



We were browsing in a secondhand store this morning. There we found a door and window set for nearly $300 that could replace a non-sliding door in our house. We took measurements and found it was about 20ml too big all around - it could be made to fit? Should we buy it? It would be quite a bit of work? We looked at the current sliding (non-sliding) door more closely. How does it work? Why does it not work? We found plastic rollers worn out. The screws to get at the rollers also would not work. Thinking!.... thinking! .... thinking! "I reckon old skateboard wheel bearings might fit in that groove! Where can we find some?" Dig around in son's old box of junk... "Darn! I know I threw a box of old skateboard stuff out in the last tidy up! - Here's one! ... it fits!"
I showed it to my wife who then disappeared. She reappeared with four more wheel bearings. With CRC to loosen them up, a lot of grunting to fit them in place, we now have a sliding door which actually slides freely! Like wow! Being a hoarder is not all bad. Saved $300 and a lot of work!

No comments: